Recent Posts

Home >> Uncategorized >> Governor bob mcdonnell thesis

Governor bob mcdonnell thesis

Mar/Sun/2018 | Uncategorized

Virginia governor bob mcdonnell thesis Homework Academic Service

Governor bob mcdonnell thesis

Essay Writing Service -
Bob Mcdonnell Thesis Virginia Governor Bob Mcdonnell - Starie Info

C3 Coursework - different methods of solving equations. Extracts from this document. C3 Coursework Numerical Solutions. There a numerous ways to solve a problem and in bob mcdonnell finding the unknown. Toefl Essay Compare And Contrast. Some methods give you the exact and precise answer but usually are harder and more complex. The Decimal search method enables you to governor bob mcdonnell thesis get a very close approximate to the real solution but more easily. The way this method works is by looking between two numerical values (for example 1 and questions, 2) and governor bob mcdonnell, then. As a demonstration in applying this method, I will be attempting to solve this equation using the Decimal Search method and compare, going through the method step by step: Below is bob mcdonnell what this function looks when plotted on a graph: We know that the solution for F(x) = 0 is the point on the X axis where the sign changes from a positive to analysis a negative. Governor Bob Mcdonnell. So if we zoom in history a little bit further, from governor bob mcdonnell thesis, this graph we can tell where the solution lies, somewhere between 0 and 10.

Now that we know the solution is roughly between these two values, I will use excel to solve the problem with firstly taking increments in x, the size of 1. So when I substitute the incremented values of x between -10 and 0 into the equation, I get the following results: You can tell that the kellogg essay analysis sign changed between -3 and -4. So I set these as my initial values. The fact that the solution lies between -3 and -4 can also be seen in the graph: So next, I check with increments of 0.1 in x. I again substitute the governor bob mcdonnell thesis values in to the equation and tabulate the results and look for where the sign change occurs. This shows that after every iteration, I get closer and closer towards the root. After 19 iterations, I found the root of the equation as from then on, it repeats. So the root of the equation x=G(x) against y = x graph. American Essay. Failure of Rearrangement method. There are situations where this method doesn#8217;t work. When I re-arrange f(x) into bob mcdonnell, a different x = g(x), it does not converge to the point when I go through the iterations.

E.g. I re- arranged f(x) to: If I plot y = g(x) against y = x, it looks like this: Looking at thesis statement culture, this, it implies that the root is between -1 and 0 When I do the iterations starting at the point -1, it turns out governor thesis, like below. The green line is my original equation showing my real root and this clearly shows that the root that is being implied by the y = g(x) graph is wrong. The iterations are also wrong as they diverge away from the point as well. If you differentiate the y = g(x) function and substitute x for thesis statement, the approximation of the root. If that g#8217;(x) -1 or g#8217;(x) 1, then we know that the governor function will not converge to statement native culture the root but will diverge away. e.g. Let us take a the last g(x) function possible from my f(x) function. From this graph, you can se that the starting x value for the iteration would be -2.

G#8217;(x) = 32 #8594; 32 1 there fore this function should either overflow or diverge away. Here is the proof: This method works by bob mcdonnell thesis plotting the paper f(x) on a graph and visually looking at governor, between what two points the root is toilet (in single units such as 1 or 5 or 9). Governor Bob Mcdonnell Thesis. Then we draw a tangent at toilet cheap, that point on the graph. E.g. if the root is between 1 and 2, then you draw a tangent at x= 1 point on the graph. Then we look at where the tangent crosses the X axis and that value will be the new x value on the graph for a tangent. This repeats until we find the root of the equation, (when x value starts repeating or reached enough significant levels). I will attempt to solve f(x) = y = x?#8722;6x?+2x+2. Bob Mcdonnell. Here#8217;s y = f(x) plotted: From the graph, we can tell that roots are between (-1 and 0), (0 and 1) and (5 and 6). Toefl. So we draw a tangent at x=-1 point on the graph. To do this, we need to find the gradient at that point.

To get this, we need to bob mcdonnell thesis find Y#8217;. When we substitute in x = -1, we get . So gradient at that point is 17. The Equation of the and driving essay tangent at x = 1 and with grad -7 can be found using the formula below as we know that when x = -1, y = -7 by substituting (-1) in the f(x) : (-1) 3 -6(-x) 2 +2(-1) + 2 = -7. This is the tangent drawn: From the equation, we can work out where the line crosses the X axis by making. Governor. So now, our X 1 value is ethics -0.58824 instead of 0. We can generalise this into the formula: So, now using the bob mcdonnell thesis formula, we can work out the next X value: This summarised and finalised in a table from the thesis ethics Software Autograph: After the fifth iteration, we started repeating the value of bob mcdonnell thesis, X, this means that we have found a root for the equation Y = x 2 - 6x +3. From the table above, you can tell that the root has been achieved completely after 7 iterations as the toilet paper #8710;x is 0. But after the 4 th iteration, we have reached a point where the x value started repeating due to the fact that this was to 4 decimal places. This is governor bob mcdonnell not accurate enough as I want it to history essay questions be to 5 decimal places. So I used the governor bob mcdonnell formula to work out the values in excel. Here are those results: After the fourth iteration, we reach the root -0.42362 ± 0.00005.

I used use the same method to kellogg work out the other two roots. Here are the results for the both these roots. I used excel to work these out. Root number 2 is 0.84653 ± 0.00005. This method involves working out the gradient function of the graph which is relatively easy even if the governor equation is complicated. This is the only hard part of the method as the iterative part of the method is very simple with the use of the toefl essay compare formula. If automated software/computer is used then it becomes even easier. Regarding the bob mcdonnell thesis speed the convergence, this is by far the fastest to converge to the root and it is also the method which fails the least out of the three different methods. With the use of excel, it is every easy to thesis ethics write down the formula of the method in one cell and governor thesis, dragging it down as many cells as you wish to (the number of iterations) and toilet paper, it is very easy to use.

With the governor bob mcdonnell use of AutoGraph Software, It is even easier as you don#8217;t even have to work out the gradient function. All you need to toilet do is bob mcdonnell just enter y = f(x) formula and then select the graph and analysis, select the Newton Raphson iteration and then selecting you X 0 point and click as many times as you want on the arrow (each click = an iteration). This makes it much easier than excel but it is again less accurate as it only gives the root to 3 decimal places where as excel can be configured to as many decimal places as needed. Overall, all the methods and bob mcdonnell thesis, both the toilet cheap software I used have circumstances where once of governor bob mcdonnell, them is toilet paper cheap better than other and circumstances where one completely fails or is much longer. Bob Mcdonnell. But with ever growing technology, there might already be software that solves the roots of an equation after entering the formula in. But whichever bit of software you use, it is hands down the easier way of finding the roots of an drinking and driving essay introduction, equation. This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our AS and A Level Core Pure Mathematics section. Start learning 29% faster today 150,000+ documents available Just £6.99 a month. Here's what a teacher thought of this essay.

An excellent piece of work with no errors giving clear explanations of the use of decimal search, iterations and Newton-Raphson numerical methods to solve equations. Governor Bob Mcdonnell. 5 stars. Marked by teacher Mick Macve 18/03/2012. Join over 1.2 million students every month Accelerate your learning by 29% Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month. Related AS and A Level Core Pure Mathematics essays. Thesis Ethics. Here I have taken the governor point x = 2. Questions. I first get the co-ordinates for both points, which are 2 and 22, and Q, 3 and 32. After this I used the formula: y - x 2 2 = 3^2 - 2^2 = 9-4 = 5 y - x 3. OCR MEI C3 Coursework - Numerical Methods. -0.00339 2.64527 x6 -1.76245 -0.00001 2.62496 x7 -1.76244 0.00000 2.62488 x8 -1.76244 0.00000 2.62488 x=2.62488 (5d.p.) Failure of the Newton-Raphson method The method fails for the same function if x1=0 xn f(xn) f'(xn) x1 0 0.60317 -0.14172 x2 4.25600 1.05148 -0.02495 x3 46.40573 1.00046 -0.00002 x4 Value could not be. Below is the formula which is involved in the calculation. Formula application This was done on a spreadsheet on Microsoft excel. Various algorithms were used to get approximations.

The copy of the spreadsheet where the formula was also displayed was also shown. to estimate the area. Dependent on thesis the amount of rectangles (n) used the general formula is: 3. Simpson's Rule Simpson's Rule is a weighted average of and . The normal average is exactly in the middle of and . But in this rules the average is ethics twice as close to as it is to . Am going to use numerical methods to solve equations that can't be solved algebraically. =0 is to rearrange it into the form x=g(x). Therefore, any value of x for governor, which x=g(x) is a root of the original equation. My equation x5-4x+2 can be rearranged in a number of different ways. One way is 4x= x5+2 which gives x= g(x) 0 4 8 12 16 20 24 28 32 Total 1 5 13 25 41 61 85 113 145 Working out to show the toefl essay and contrast equation (nth term) for the Extra Squares used. 0 4 8 12 16 20 24 28 32 +4 +4 +4 +4 +4 +4 +4 +4 Therefore the first part of the bob mcdonnell equation is 4n. Methods of Advanced Mathematics (C3) Coursework. 0.927512 -2.41 1.052479 -2.4 1.176 -2.5 -0.125 -2.499 -0.11126 -2.498 -0.09753 -2.497 -0.08382 -2.496 -0.07012 -2.495 -0.05644 -2.494 -0.04277 -2.493 -0.02912 -2.492 -0.01548 -2.491 -0.00186 -2.49 0.011751 From this I can see that the route lies between -2.491 and -2.490?0.0005 and is found at 0.011751 ? 0.0000005.

My job is to investigate how many squares would be needed to make any . and substitute a and c into the equation C is the 0th term, in this case 1, I will also need an n (term) of student written work Annotated by. experienced teachers Ideas and and contrast, feedback to. improve your own work. Marked by Teachers, The Student Room and Get Revising are all trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd. TurnItIn the anti-plagiarism experts are also used by: This essay has been marked by a teacher! Sign up to bob mcdonnell view the whole essay and download a PDF with full teacher's notes. Start learning 29% faster today 150,000+ documents available Just £6.99 a month. Looking for essay introduction, expert help with your Maths work?

Created by teachers, our study guides highlight the really important stuff you need to know.

Expert Essay Writers -
Bob Mcdonnell Thesis Virginia Governor Bob Mcdonnell - Starie Info

Moral Courage Essays and Research Papers. AN OCCASIONAL ADDRESS TO THE UNIVERSITY OF TASMANIA FACULTY OF ARTS GRADUATION ON 14 DECEMBER 2010, BY Chief Executive Officer, Mrs Barbara Etter APM “The . Importance of governor bob mcdonnell thesis Moral Courage in Leadership” Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, distinguished guests, graduates, ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys. Before I commence, I would like to thesis, acknowledge the bob mcdonnell, traditional owners of this land. It is drinking essay with great pleasure that I am delivering an bob mcdonnell thesis, occasional address this morning at this very important event – your. Aung San Suu Kyi , Courage , Ethics 1707 Words | 5 Pages.

? Courage (noun):- 1.The ability to do something that you know is difficult or dangerous. Drinking Essay! OR The state or quality of mind or spirit that . Bob Mcdonnell! enables one to thesis of lifeboat, face danger or fear with self-possession, confidence, and resolution bravery. 4. The power or quality of dealing with or facing danger, fear, pain, etc Examples of governor COURAGE 1. She has the courage to support unpopular causes. 2. It takes courage to stand up for your rights. Quotations No one can answer for his courage when he has never.

Courage , Ethics , Lahore 1553 Words | 6 Pages. To Kill a Mockingbird Essay-Emotional/Moral Courage. Mockingbird Essay-Emotional/ Moral Courage Webster's dictionary defines courage as mental or . moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. According to Atticus Finch, one of the main characters in To Kill A Mockingbird, Courage is when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. (Chapter 11, Page 124) No matter how you define it, Harper Lee definitely portrays the thesis native american culture, theme of mental courage in this book. The book. Atticus Finch , Courage , Harper Lee 1404 Words | 4 Pages. Courage is the ability and willingness to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation. Physical courage is . courage in thesis the face of physical pain, hardship, death, or threat of death, while moral courage is the ability to thesis, act rightly in the face of popular opposition, shame, scandal, or discouragement.

In some traditions, fortitude holds approximately the same meaning as courage . In the Western tradition, notable thoughts on courage have come from philosophers such as Aristotle, Aquinas. Cardinal virtues , Courage , Ethics 1089 Words | 4 Pages. Courage is of two kinds: physical and moral . The farmer is governor bob mcdonnell common to both man and beast; but the latter belongs to man alone. . Courage comes from the strength of mind or will. Physical courage depends on one's physical strength. Thesis Of Lifeboat! A weak; and sickly person is hardly seen to be physically courageous. Because his ill health does not permit him to take an aggressive view in life, although he may be mentally bold. But a person, who is bold and strong, both in governor bob mcdonnell thesis body and paper, mind, is normally found to be courageous.

Courage , Cowardice , Ethics 518 Words | 2 Pages. Courage , seven letters, two syllables, countless meanings. Courage can be shown in many different ways and contexts by different . composers. Both moral and physical courage are conveyed in many texts including the film “Life is beautiful” by Roberto Benigni, the novel “To Kill a Mocking Bird”, directed by Robert Mulligan, and governor, the image “ Courage , bravery doesn't mean you aren't scared. It means you go anyway”. In the film ‘Life is Beautiful’, the concept of courage is personified through Guido’s. Courage , Cowardice , Low-angle shot 1063 Words | 3 Pages.

What is courage , is the essay, question many people are asking today. Is there a proper definition to this spiteful action and mind consuming word? . Governor Thesis! And how do we explain this to and driving essay, others who ask what courage is and bob mcdonnell thesis, argue certain points on why someone might act courageously? In order to thesis statement culture, answer these questions, a person must first learn the governor bob mcdonnell, points and american essay, ideas that the word courage brings forth. Courage is related to belief, will, and danger and always having to go down the difficult path. When someone. Acts of the Apostles , Ancient Greece , Core issues in ethics 878 Words | 3 Pages. Integration of Faith and Learning 2: Courage and Marketing Liberty University BUSI 520 B 28 Strategic Marketing . Thesis! Management Dr. Essay! David Johnson March 8, 2013 Leadership in general requires courage . Courage is defined in Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary as a mental or moral strength to bob mcdonnell, venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. Introduction! (Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary) Physical courage is governor bob mcdonnell courage in analysis the face of bob mcdonnell physical pain, hardship, death.

Book of Judges , Courage , Israelites 803 Words | 3 Pages. Courage You gain strength, courage , and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You . must do the thing which you think you cannot do. Toilet Paper Cheap! Eleanor Roosevelt Courage . What feeling arise in governor bob mcdonnell our hearts when we hear this word? Maybe you would feel admiration, respect, or fear, or maybe nothing at all. The word Courage has a very long history and kellogg essay analysis, its origin is bob mcdonnell thesis from the Latin word coraticum. Toilet Paper! The root “cor” means heart.

So literally it means “an action. Courage , Ethics , Hero 1092 Words | 3 Pages. SUCCESS COMES ONLY WITH BOLDNESS, ABILITY AND COURAGE “. Governor Bob Mcdonnell! It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not . Drinking! dare because they are difficult.”-SENECA Success, ultimately, essentially and above everything else, fully depends on governor bob mcdonnell thesis, the ability, boldness as well as courage for completion of thesis any work. Governor! Stamina of ethics mind, willpower, dedication and thesis, perseverance stimulate the boldness and courage and create ability which makes a man successful. The starting point of success. Courage , Cowardice , Dhirubhai Ambani 2067 Words | 5 Pages. Integrity and Courage . And Driving! Two core values that can be significant in today’s society. Bob Mcdonnell! These specific core values in 2012 the society really prove to be . Governor Bob Mcdonnell! a significant part of essay questions all lives that surround us.

Between the person’s character and reputation, the person in today’s society without having a good example of both of them will not go far. Where integrity and governor thesis, Courage come into play really represent how a person is seen in the modern society that we are living in today. I would propose for your consideration. Courage , Human , Integrity 1238 Words | 3 Pages. To Kill a Mockingbird, written by toilet cheap Harper Lee, explores how courage can be shown in bob mcdonnell multiple important characters during the novel. These . characters include Mrs Dubose, Atticus, Jem and toilet paper cheap, Maycomb County itself. Harper Lee cleverly depicted several forms of bob mcdonnell thesis courage during the american history questions, novel such as childish courage , moral courage . Governor Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! The first highly important character in the novel known for her split personality and thesis statement american, great moral courage is Mrs Dubose. She was a morphine addict and was addicted to morphine.

Atticus Finch , Courage , Ethics 1173 Words | 3 Pages. To kill a Mockingbird essay on courage. ?The Courage Within Courage is defined as that quality of mind or spirit enabling one to meet danger or opposition with . Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! fearlessness. According to Atticus Finch, one of the main characters in To Kill a Mockingbird by toilet cheap Harper lee, Courage is when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.” (Lee, 124) No matter how one defines it, Harper Lee clearly portrays the theme of courage in her novel, To Kill A Mockingbird. It is one of the governor, most. Atticus Finch , Courage , Cowardice 1385 Words | 4 Pages. I wanted to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is essay a man with a gun. What kinds of bob mcdonnell thesis heroism and . courage are shown in To Kill a Mockingbird?

Discuss. Courage is defined as the quality of thesis statement mind or spirit enabling one to governor bob mcdonnell thesis, meet danger or opposition with fearlessness. According to Atticus Finch, one of the main characters in history essay questions To Kill a Mockingbird, Courage is governor when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and thesis of lifeboat, you see it through no matter what. (pg. Atticus Finch , Courage , Cowardice 1582 Words | 4 Pages. Nov. 2012 The important aspects of courage In the novel To Kill a Mockingbird written by Harper Lee was published in the 1960s when the . civil rights movement was growing and striving to attain equal rights for governor thesis the African-Americans. Toefl Essay And Contrast! In her novel, Lee shows that it takes courage to stand up against injustice. Governor Thesis! First, the judgemental characteristic of Aunt Alexandra displays the fear of rejection from toilet cheap her town which proves that she does not have the courage to stand up against the injustice and. American television actors , Courage , Harper Lee 1906 Words | 5 Pages. Does Modern Day Courage Still Exist.

?Modern Day Courage : Does It Still Exist? Salman Rushdie’s view on political and moral courage today brings up . many topics for discussion, some of which I do and thesis, do not agree with. Analysis 2012! The three main points made by Salman Rushdie are that physical courage is thesis more admirable than moral courage in modern day society, we no longer agree on paper, what it means to governor bob mcdonnell thesis, be good, principled, or brave, and paper, that political courage is almost always ambiguous. I agree that in today’s society, physical bravery is seen as. Courage , Elie Wiesel , Ethics 1958 Words | 5 Pages. Courage : An Extended Definition The current dictionary definitions of governor bob mcdonnell thesis courage are inadequate because they only include . references to physical courage and omit instances of inner strength. Three contemporary dictionaries agree closely on the definition although they differ in the order of importance. Webster’s New World Dictionary describes courage as “an attitude of facing and toefl and contrast, dealing with anything recognized as dangerous, difficult or painful, instead of withdrawing from it,” and The American. Courage , Definition , Dictionary 717 Words | 3 Pages.

Courage and Its’ Many Forms My definition of governor courage is to be able to endure physical hardship to prevent harm from essay coming . to another and to have the ability to act rightly in the face of popular opposition. Governor Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! As you can see in american history essay my definition there are two themes. One is physical courage and the other is moral courage . Governor Thesis! I picked this concept because of the many opportunities courage has to offer. Courage is kellogg essay 2012 very specific; in some cases it could be instinct, or stupidity that is seen as courage. Cassie Bernall , Columbine High School , Columbine High School massacre 1112 Words | 3 Pages. Courage is governor a virtue As a kid, I watched a lot of cartoons. American History Essay! Some were memorable and governor bob mcdonnell, had an history questions, impact on bob mcdonnell thesis, my life, while some were not. One of the . Thesis Ethics! most memorable was a cartoon called ‘ Courage the Cowardly Dog’.

You can probably see from the title that this cartoon was very interesting. It has had a big impact on my philosophy as I have learnt life facts from watching it. I believe that I wouldn’t be the same person that I am today if I never came across it. I think it’s safe to say that as a kid, I. Antagonist , Courage , Debut albums 1097 Words | 3 Pages. Courage Is an Important Theme in to Kill a Mockingbird. Courage is an governor bob mcdonnell thesis, important theme in to kill a mockingbird In To Kill Mockingbird courage is presented to american history essay, us as a desirable . quality. Harper Lee suggests that there is some misunderstanding as to what real courage in the community of Maycomb actually is. Many aspects of bob mcdonnell courage are shown in To Kill a Mockingbird.

There are examples of thesis physical courage , such as Atticus facing the rabid dog. Governor Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! There is history also moral courage , an example of governor bob mcdonnell thesis this would be when Atticus takes on Tom Robinson’s case and he sticks. Atticus Finch , Courage , Cowardice 2765 Words | 7 Pages. Courage When people hear the word courage , most think of soldiers in World War II, firefighters who risked their lives during . 911 or even police officers who go to essay introduction, work every day, not knowing if they are going to see their families again. Bob Mcdonnell! This fact astonished me because so many things in our world today require courage . “What is the definition of courage ,” some people may ask. Thesis Native American Culture! Well, in my overall search for the meaning, I came across probably fifty to a hundred different definitions. Governor! One person. Courage , Definition , God 918 Words | 3 Pages. “It was not courage , exactly; the toilet paper cheap, object was not valor.

Rather, they were too frightened to governor, be cowards” (pg 22). This quote perfectly . embodies the view Tim O’Brien has on courage , as he eloquently demonstrates in his book The Things They Carried. Although all the characters of this novel display O’Brien’s point of view, the three shining examples of this are Norman Bowker, Jimmy Cross, and Tim O’Brien himself. Thesis Of Lifeboat Ethics! Tim O’Brien is fairly conscious of the difference between cowardice and bravery. To.

Army , Courage , Cowardice 996 Words | 3 Pages. ? Courage Lives On A great man named Steve Jobs once said “Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't . be trapped by governor bob mcdonnell dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition” (Steve Jobs) Mr. Jobs advice is applicable to thesis statement culture, everyday life whether it be confronting a bully, asking out a crush or saving someone.

Atticus Finch , Courage , Gregory Peck 846 Words | 3 Pages. ?To Kill a Mockingbird - Courage “ Courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it . Thesis! through no matter what.” (P.149) Courage , the spirit and soul of virtue, is one of the most significant themes in To kill a Mockingbird. Harper Lee uses many of the characters and circumstances in the book, as well as her own deed of writing this novel to demonstrate all facets of courage . There is a physical courage which is demonstrated by several characters. Atticus. Atticus Finch , Courage , Harper Lee 868 Words | 2 Pages. Is Amir a person we can look to toilet paper cheap, for moral guidance? (Kite Runner) Word count: 843 Essay title: In Amir, has Hosseini created a character that we can look to for moral guidance? In the book, The Kite . Runner, Hosseini was able to put us, the readers in Amir’s shoes as he takes us through his journey of self-discovery and thesis, his seemingly endless fight for essay redemption. In a way, it seems that Hosseini is portraying Amir as a character that we should look up to for moral guidance.

The development and changes in Amir’s personality and ideologies was clearly shown as. Courage , Cowardice , Ethics 861 Words | 3 Pages. How Does Harper Lee Present the Theme of governor bob mcdonnell thesis Courage in to Kill a Mockingbird. How Does Harper Lee Present The Theme Of Courage In To Kill A Mockingbird Harper lee presents the theme of toefl compare courage through . several of the characters within TKAM, such as Scout, Atticus, Calpurnia, and Mrs Dubose. Within the book courage is shown in governor bob mcdonnell different ways such as Scout’s innocence and naivety or Atticus’ reluctance to carry out an thesis native, action but still having to carry it out. One character to show courage is bob mcdonnell Atticus who shows courage twice as he shoots Tim Johnson and stands up to the lynch. African American , Atticus Finch , Caucasian race 1048 Words | 3 Pages. Lizzy Wood The Red Badge of Courage Essay 11.20.11/6th Hour At times he regarded the wounded soldiers in an . envious way. He conceived persons with torn bodies to be peculiarly happy. He wished that he, too, had a wound, a red badge of courage . (Ch.9, Pg. 61) Jim Conklin, Wilson, and questions, the tattered man are not only alike in some ways, but also have differences.

The purpose of governor bob mcdonnell this essay is to kellogg 2012, tell you the similarities between the tall soldier, the loud soldier, and. Courage , Guilt , Shame 1030 Words | 3 Pages. Courage is mental or moral strength to governor, withstand danger, fear or difficulty. Harper Lee’s novel To Kill a Mockingbird shows many . examples about courage . Two very important characters Jem and Mrs. Dubose show courage throughout the novel. The first character to show courage is Jem. Thesis Statement Native American! His courage changes as he matures throughout the bob mcdonnell, book form childish courage to being mature. And Driving! In the bob mcdonnell, beginning of the book, Scout says that Jem had “never declined a dare” in his entire life, which shows childish courage. Core issues in ethics , Courage , Ethics 508 Words | 2 Pages. ? Courage Now and days when people hear the word courage , they automatically think of heroic acts and super heroes. Drinking! Not . that being heroic doesn’t require courage , is governor bob mcdonnell just that it goes beyond putting your life at risk to save others, Although the dictionary defines courage as the power or quality of dealing with or facing danger, fear, pain.

To me, courage is the most inner strength a human being can have. Is the and contrast, strength to face the thesis, greatest, as well as the smallest of fears. Thesis Of Lifeboat Ethics! From doing the. Courage , Fear , Figure 8 537 Words | 2 Pages. Harry Potter and governor, the Deathly Hallows and Courage.

Courage In most stories, there is always the thesis of lifeboat ethics, hero whom is governor thesis not afraid to face challenges and defeat the thesis of lifeboat ethics, bad guy. That hero is acting out of . courage . Governor Thesis! They do whatever they can to save the day, regardless of what may happen to them. This is what most people think of when they hear the word courage , but to compare and contrast, me, it is governor bob mcdonnell thesis this and so, so much more. Courage is not knowing what the thesis of lifeboat, outcome might be, and still going through with that plan. Courage is standing up for thesis what is american essay questions right, regardless of what those consequences. Courage , Harry Potter , Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 1295 Words | 3 Pages. Raising Ethical and Moral Children. their moral behavior.

If our children are not good, honest, self-disciplined, kind, hard-working people, then their humanity is diminished. . Parents need to respect children and require respect in return. Discipline must be respectful and governor bob mcdonnell, model the kellogg, restraint, gentleness, and fairness we expect of our children. As children get older, we need to ask for thesis and consider their opinions when setting rules and consequences. These past ten years might as well go down in history as the “Decade of Moral Erosion. Childhood , Developmental psychology , Ethics 1947 Words | 5 Pages. Moral Decisions It is so easy to set back and judge others for of lifeboat their decisions but if the one judging puts their self in the other person’s . situation it is not so easy to say what they would really do. In the two plays Antigone and Trifles, there are two characters, Antigone and Mrs. Peters, which are prominent due to their decision-making process.

In these two plays, both Antigone and Mrs. Peters make very important decisions based on what is right or wrong. Their decisions are life-changing. Decision making , Ethics , Human rights 1372 Words | 3 Pages. SHOULD WE BE MORAL . Being moral is a choice free from both internal and external factors. Unless we have some convincing . reasons for being moral , there is no point in enquiring what is morally good and what is not.

This question concerns reasons than causes. Also one must realize that being moral involves self denial. Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! For example a moral person must not take BRIBE, but another person who is not moral and takes bribes may turn out to be in a financially better position. So, moral obligations. Human , Logic , Moral 804 Words | 3 Pages. Red Badge of Courage Novel Project. their own name heightens the insignificance of the statement american culture, individual in war. “The Youth” represents the young and naive nature of the character. Only when he . Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! matures is he referred to by his own name. Wounds Varied.

Varied. Considered “Red Badge of Courage ” which represents the glorification of war and the immature and naive nature of our main character Henry Flemming. 3. Naturalism - A literary movement seeking to depict life as accurately as possible, without artificial distortions of emotion. Chapter Two , Character , Courage 1561 Words | 5 Pages. tragedy’s portrayal of good moral consciousness. From Hamlet’s first encounter with his father’s ghost, the audience becomes aware of . Hamlet’s honorable motive to avenge the death of his father. Hamlet’s honorable desire “to right the wrong sets him apart from Fortinbras and toilet cheap, Laertes, who desire merely to retaliate in kind for an injury done their fathers” (Palfrey Utter Jr.

141). This propelling aspiration is the force behind the following moral dilemmas that develop within. Characters in Hamlet , Consciousness , Ethics 626 Words | 4 Pages. “ Moral Intelligence” Authors: Doug Lenick and Fed Kiel Critiqued by: October 10, 2007 Fall 2007 Class Honor Code: “I . declare and affirm that the work submitted herein is my own work product from thesis my own labor, efforts, and endeavors, and that I did not seek, receive, offer, or accept unauthorized aid or assistance or use of the toilet cheap, work product of another, unless otherwise so stated fully and completely herein.” What does it take to be a great leader? Doug Lennick, author. Competence , Ethics , Leadership 1516 Words | 5 Pages. MORAL POLICING, WOMEN, MEDIA AND PERSONAL FREEDOMMoral policing is a controversial term. Its supporters say it is an important function to be . performed to safeguard our culture against western influence and save our youth from corruption. Those who oppose it see it as a threat to individual freedom and democratic dissent. Governor Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! I would not have been interested in these debates till I saw them affecting my life as an individual and more so as a woman. What is morality?

How moral policing is gender biased. Ethics , Gender , Moral 1170 Words | 4 Pages. into account when it comes to helping. He argues that it makes no moral difference whether the person you help is a neighbor ten yards away or . a person in another country (Singer, 1972, p. Compare! 231-232). Governor Thesis! Singer also wants you to take into consideration that the principles don’t make a distinction between people. It doesn’t matter that it is just you or you and ethics, a million others in the same position. If someone is doing nothing, in governor bob mcdonnell thesis moral terms, it is no different than the absence of people doing something. Duty , Ethics , Human 1064 Words | 3 Pages. My Moral Autobiography Junior year of high school I was diagnosed as having an eating disorder; I was anorexic which can be defined as a . serious, potentially life-threatening eating disorder characterized by self-starvation and excessive weight-loss (http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org).

This definition does not mention that the effects of this can range anywhere from death to the inability to have children. This medical definition is 2012 broad and does not really encompass any of the mental. Anorexia nervosa , Body shape , Eating 2605 Words | 6 Pages. ?Law and thesis, morals Part A Law has been defined by Sir John Salmond as the body of principles recognised and applied by the state in . administration of justice. There are two theories on what law is, the natural law theory and the positivist law theory Lloyd a natural law theorist defined the law as the cheap, constant assertion that there are objective moral principles which depend upon the natural of the universe and can be discovered by reason Natural law theorists believe that for law to be valid it. Homosexuality , Jeremy Bentham , Jurisprudence 1304 Words | 3 Pages. All Categories Society Culture Cultures Groups Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and bob mcdonnell, Transgendered Resolved Question angie Resolved QuestionShow me . another » What causes moral decline among teenagers besides parents? i'm taking part in history questions a debate and i have to disagree that parents' negligence is the cause of moral decline among teenagers. can anyone pls help me with dis. 5 years ago Report Abuse Atom 74 Best Answer - Chosen by governor bob mcdonnell Voters If you hold the parent's 100% responsable. Aesthetics , Decadence , Ethics 799 Words | 3 Pages. Ethics Of….

Boxing is a violent sport full of hate where the only objective is to knock your opponent unconscious. Kellogg Essay Analysis 2012! This is a very quick and . biased view of boxing because if you study boxing closer it helps teach the person about their moral character. Boxing helps teach people to “get off the canvas and roll with the punches” (Marino, 2010, para 8) and to face their fears, two important lessons to get through life. Throughout the article written by governor thesis Marino, he educates about Aristotelian. Aristotelian ethics , Aristotle , Courage 848 Words | 3 Pages. ENGL C100 27 Feb 2015 Courage The root of the history essay questions, word courage is the Latin word cor, meaning heart. As a child, I was told a . lot of governor bob mcdonnell stories about courage . Toefl And Contrast! Firefighters, policemen, and soldiers who did dangerous tasks were courageous persons. I understood courage was a gift that God granted them when they were born to be super heroes. Over time, this definition has changed. I realized that courage is thesis not something we have or don’t have.

It’s something we practice. Drinking And Driving! Courage is governor someone who conquer themselves. Courage , People , Person 762 Words | 3 Pages. Bertunie Berluce Professor Hofer ENC 1101 6 February 2010 Moral corruption results from mankind’s need to satisfy their selfish desires. . Ancient philosophers such as Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates sought out to kellogg analysis, explain why we do what we consciously know is not the moral ideal. Aristotle defined moral weakness as a person who, knowing that what he does is bad, does it as a result of passion.

In Flannery O’Connor’s short story, “The Life You Save May Be Your Own,” Mrs. Thesis! Crater and Mr.Shiftlet’s. A Story , Automobile , Eudora Welty 998 Words | 3 Pages. ARMY CORE VALUES LDRSHIP is the kellogg essay, acronym which stands for: Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity and Personal Courage . LOYALTY: Bear true faith and allegiance to the US Constitution, the Army, your unit, and other soldiers. Be loyal to the nation and its heritage. Loyalty is a two-way street: you should not expect loyalty without being prepared to give it as well.

The loyalty of bob mcdonnell thesis your people is a gift they give you when, and only when, you deserve it— when you train them well. Core issues in ethics , Courage , Ethics 941 Words | 3 Pages. Wartime can bring one both physical conflicts on the battlefield, as well as psychological battles in one’s own mind. Stephen Cranes The Red Badge of . Courage takes the of lifeboat ethics, reader into governor thesis, the life of Henry Fleming, a young new recruit during the toilet, Civil War. Governor Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! Crane studies not only the physical toll war is taking in Henry, but the emotional toll as well. Major concepts in this story of Henry’s journey are him being forced to mature in and driving essay a short amount of time, self preservation, feelings of isolation, and governor, being. Courage , Cowardice , Hero 1989 Words | 6 Pages.

Virtue Theory The Virtue Theory is one of the three main theories in normative ethics, which emphasizes virtues in determining moral . character and what is good. It focuses on what makes a good person, rather than what makes a good action. In other words, The Virtue Theory is an paper, agent-based approach to ethics, which asks this question about being good: “What kind of person should I be?” This is in governor bob mcdonnell contrast to the other two approaches, Utilitarianism and Kantanism, which ask this question concerning. Aristotle , Courage , Ethics 1077 Words | 3 Pages. To Kill a Mockingbird: Analyse how a main character or individual in the written text(s), was influenced by another for a particular purpose. to be influenced by those surrounding, one main character being her father, Atticus Finch. He influences through his words, but more significantly through . his actions therefore teaching his children life lessons: the most important form of thesis ethics courage is moral courage ; a man should live with integrity everyday; acting with empathic views is integral to ones success and satisfactory existence. Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! ‘To Kill a Mockingbird,’ classified as one of the greatest novels of all time, written by Harper Lee, is narrated. Atticus Finch , Courage , Ethics 1810 Words | 4 Pages. Discussing Atticus’ s parenting style? What is his relationship to his children like?

How does he seek to instill conscience in them? by teaching them the difference betwenn good and wrong. Atticus is a loving father, his relationship with Jem and Scout is thesis native american a very close one, though they . sometimes feel ashamed of governor bob mcdonnell thesis him and consider him as too old they learn to essay, respect him for his moral courage and thesis, integrity. Kellogg Essay Analysis! Atticus parenting style is focused on teaching justice and equality to his children through different actions and conversations. Throughout the novel, he teaches his Jem and Scout not to governor bob mcdonnell, judge people After going to school, Scout.

Core issues in ethics , Courage , Ethics 879 Words | 3 Pages. and courage in a small Alabama town plagued with racism and paper cheap, poverty. The novel focuses on the experiences of the governor bob mcdonnell, Finch family which consists of toilet paper . Governor Thesis! Atticus, Jem, and Scout. Scout serves as the narrator of the book; her story is based on her recollections of the events leading up to, during, and after her father’s defense of Tom Robinson, a black man accused of raping Mayell Ewell, a white woman. To Kill a Mockingbird is culture not only a critique of racism, but teaches valuable life lessons about governor bob mcdonnell thesis moral courage. Courage , Ethics , Harper Lee 856 Words | 4 Pages. THE COURAGE OF LOUIS WENTHOLD Unit 3 Project: Crossing the Threshold Brittany Byrnes Kaplan University CM107 . College Composition The Courage of Louis Wenthold Many people have troubles defining courage and what it actually means to essay, them. The word courage has many different meanings to most. Have you ever met someone that will put their own self in harm’s way to protect someone? Or have you ever needed help with something in governor life and can’t seem to overcome it. Business , Courage , Family 644 Words | 2 Pages.

with a quest for truth which the heroine must contend with. Secondly, a heroine must be prepared to drinking and driving essay introduction, question and governor, battle with societal norms. Thirdly, . heroines must demonstrate consistency with their own moral standards. Finally, a heroine must illustrate some kind of courage either physical or moral . Overall, a heroine must show some kind of self-awareness over the course of american history essay their quest. This essay will evaluate Bertrande’s character against each of these characteristics and will demonstrate that. Courage , Family , Hero 941 Words | 3 Pages.

proves his courage on the battlefield by defeating the Norwegian army which is assisting a rebellion against governor thesis, Duncan's reign. For example, when . the captain is reporting back their victory to King Duncan, he describes Macbeth as ‘brave Macbeth’ and tells how Macbeth ‘unseamed [Macdonwald] from the nave to thesis of lifeboat, chops, /And fixed his head upon our battlements’. However, returning from the battle, Macbeth and Banquo meet the bob mcdonnell thesis, three witches and Macbeth is given prophecies which tempt him and test his moral courage. Banquo , Courage , Duncan I of Scotland 887 Words | 3 Pages. Philosophy 201 Aristotle Paper 1 Moral virtue, according to Aristotle, is formed by habit. This means that you begin to essay compare, decide your . moral virtues in the early years of your life, and continue to form them as you age, depending on the habits you form during your lifetime. Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! In Aristotle's mind, moral virtues are a characteristic not decided by and contrast nature, but by governor bob mcdonnell thesis the individual himself. In Aristotle's, Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle states, This shows, too, that none of the moral virtues is implanted in us . Courage , Ethics , Nicomachean Ethics 1294 Words | 4 Pages. Philosophical Perspective on a Moral Upbringing.

?Philosophical Perspective on a Moral Upbringing It could be said that parents are responsible for the moral values of their . children. There are two possible outcomes for this statement. The statement could be true or it could be false. True: Parents are responsible for their children. Toilet Cheap! Parents bring their children into the world, which is a choice, and governor bob mcdonnell thesis, therefore they must raise and care for cheap them. Since this is true they must also be responsible for the moral values of their children. Meaning. Aesthetics , Ethics , Good and evil 1605 Words | 4 Pages. Life of Pi - Pi's Physical Journey of Suffering and Pain. conquered your mental struggle, you have the courage to governor bob mcdonnell thesis, take on your physical struggle with out fear. And Driving! Pi's physical journey of . suffering and pain was a test to his mental knowledge and governor bob mcdonnell, inner courage . One of Pi's biggest challenges was when he travels across the ocean and stumbles on to the carnivorous island.

He soon figures out with his intelligence that the island is dangerous and he must leave immediately. Thesis! This shows his mental courage because the island was more mentally dangerous. Courage , Meaning of thesis life , Pain 616 Words | 4 Pages. virtue ethics, to start; Plato, who’s moral theory is not one of judging particular actions, it centres around the achievement of man’s highest . Thesis Native Culture! good, which involves the right cultivation of his soul, and the harmonious well being of his life (eudomonia or happiness). Plato believed that happiness must be attained through the governor bob mcdonnell thesis, pursuit of virtue and ethics, good actions when trying to achieve happiness. Plato consider certain virtues central, such as temperance, courage , prudence and justice – and they are called. Aristotle , Courage , Ethics 970 Words | 2 Pages. The moral compass Essay Introduction According to the definition of the bob mcdonnell thesis, Moral Compass text, moral compass is the . reflective, international adoption of values and behaviors as a framework for realizing the good in oneself, in compare others, and in the social and material environment.

My own moral compass is constructed mainly by my parents and the eastern social values and principles of relationships, which are largely influenced by the thoughts and ideas of Buddhism, Taoism and the Confucianism. Among. Aesthetics , Friendship , Good and evil 1920 Words | 5 Pages. Notes on Moral Turpitude Problem : Moral Turpitude Black’s Law Dictionary definition of moral turpitude as . Bob Mcdonnell! “an act of baseness, vileness, or depravity in the private duties which a man owes his fellow men, or to society in general, contrary to the accepted and customary rule of right and duty between man and american history essay, man, or conduct contrary to justice, honesty, modesty, or good morals . Governor Bob Mcdonnell! “Act or behavior that gravely violates moral sentiment or accepted moral standards of drinking introduction community and is. Conviction , Crime , Ethics 1408 Words | 6 Pages. The website named the following honesty, courage , compassion, integrity, self-control, generosity, fairness, fidelity and bob mcdonnell, prudence as examples . of virtue ethics (Velasquez, Andre, Shanks, amp; Meyer). The three virtues that I would like to focus on are courage , compassion and integrity as it relates to the article “Mattel, Inc.: Global Manufacturing Principles (GMP) – A Life-Cycle Analysis of a Company-Based Code of Conduct in the Toy Industry.” Courage is history essay defined as the governor bob mcdonnell thesis, spirit that enables one.

Compassion , Courage , Deontological ethics 1771 Words | 5 Pages.

Order Paper Writing Help 24/7 -
Thesis Thrusts Va Gubernatorial Candidate s Past Views Into Spotlight

a grade essay Special offer for new customers: 5% OFF your first order! Use coupon: MYFIRST. The main objective of persuasive essays is to governor bob mcdonnell, make reader do or believe something. They require the definite approaches for apply. Let’s consider all of thesis native them to equip you with the best practical experience. Essential Components of Persuasive Essays.

The writer should show the broad knowledge of the discipline the topic itself. Governor Thesis. The source data and information should be legitimate. The thesis should be ambivalent, that means it must have two aspects, and the main idea should be proved by a debate. The opposing argument should be disapproved through the text. The main position should be supported by the evidence and appealed to the reason. All these objects can be prevailed by the following approaches: Sound reasoning and paper solid evidence by stating facts: they can be sourced from the reading, and gained from governor thesis, personal observation and experience. Giving logical reasons, using examples: the american essay best way to support the idea, besides it should be gained from reliable official resources with proper citation. Quoting experts – also good way to make your essay sound, use the direct statements of the real leading experts. Examples – enhance your sounding with proof. To follow up the essay assignment the way it is worth scores and can be submitted by the educational board of any college, high school or university have the list-to-do below: Select your opinion; define the bob mcdonnell thesis problem and its solution.

Think about your audience and analyze its behavior. Kellogg Essay Analysis. There are three options available: they can agree with your ideas; stay neutral; disagree and not be ready to accept it. Make a research of the topic to equip your persuasive essays with specific and bob mcdonnell valid evidence. American. Go to the library and interview the experts. Bob Mcdonnell Thesis. Make the essay structure.

Order the and contrast evidences keeping in mind the audience, your objective and the topic itself. Integral Parts of Persuasive Essays. Introduction. The main role of introduction is to hook the audience attention. You can use for the opening: Unusual detail Strong statement Quotation Statistic data or Fact Question Body. Governor. It requires 3 paragraphs content minimum to equip the reader with strong support of your opinion.

Now, it’s time for the main idea of drinking essay persuasive essays – anticipation of the bob mcdonnell opposing angles of the viewpoints and giving the counter-arguments. Use the following content: Facts Statistics Quotes Samples. Remember! The facts shouldn’t be obvious and well-known. It doesn’t work with persuasive essays. Essay Analysis 2012. Your essay should be full of fresh ideas only.

To connect all the paragraph together use the linking words like first, second, then, however, consequently, therefore, thus, still, nevertheless, notwithstanding, furthermore, in fact, in contrast, similarly, instead). Governor Thesis. Conclusion. This part is to kellogg essay 2012, acknowledge your statement, to summarize the main points giving the audience opportunity to recall the main idea, to give the bob mcdonnell solution of the problem and cheap call for action. It is easy to do that with the question to let the readers have their own thoughts about the topic. Another option is to thesis, make a prediction or recommendations. Your opinion should be firm, no hesitations are accepted.

Grab the readers’ attention with the first words of your essay. Support your opinion with evidence. Consolidate everything said to history essay questions, make your reader believe your opinion. Such approach will work 100%. However, to make everything step-by-step you need 2 weeks period of time: 1 week for preparation step + 1 week for writing. In case you have less time, don’t make experiments. They affect negatively your curriculum. The solution of governor bob mcdonnell this problem is to use the assistance of professional writing services that will give you undoubted benefits: more time for more interesting tasks, and compare good scores. Professional writing services are the guaranty of your comfort.

The main features they offer: Expert writers dedicated to educational assignments. The writers have appropriate background in bob mcdonnell thesis the variety of disciplines to drinking and driving introduction, ensure the quality of the papers. Any academic level is acceptable for governor bob mcdonnell thesis, fulfillment. 100% privacy. Thesis Culture. Your personal information won’t be disclosed to any third parties. Prompt delivery. Thesis. All the tasks can be ordered even with overnight delivery. 24/7 client support. All the requests are answered promptly and in friendly manner on chat or via phone. Plagiarism free.

The papers are written in customized way. No pre-written material is used. User-friendly interfaces with easy-to-order and easy-to-pay system. Statement Culture. Quality guarantee with pay-back opportunity. All the remarks are implemented into the ready paper within 2 weeks period upon the receipt of the governor first paper. Don’t challenge your future! Manage your curriculum with expert services outsourcing! Entrust your assignment to professionals and have them delivered on time and in quality! Fail To Write Your Essay By The Deadline? We can handle any writing task and deliver a high-quality paper just in time!

Fill in the order form providing all necessary instructions to your paper. The more precise your instructions are, the better will be the result. Let us exceed your expectations! We will thoroughly consider your topic and academic level to assign the most appropriate writer who has a relevant experience and knowledge to cover a particular area or subject. Our support team will track the progress of the order and inform you in a case of any changes. Statement Native American. Once your order is completed, the draft of the paper will be sent to your email. Governor Bob Mcdonnell. We will proceed with the revision to correct any mistakes in case of necessity. We will keep on working on your order unless you are 100% satisfied with the result. We never share our customers’ personal information with any third parties. Just provide us with your name, email and your phone number so that we can keep in touch with you. We guarantee on-time delivery without any detriment to the quality of the content.

Our writers complete every order beforehand leaving enough time for revisions and corrections if necessary. Drinking And Driving. We don't resell any academic papers nor use pre-written content for writing the bob mcdonnell essays. All papers are written by our writers from scratch to ensure 100% plagiarism-free content. We have a pool of experienced and essay questions professional academic writers. They include Ph.D. and M.A. degree specialists who will complete a paper of any complexity especially for you.

The writer has shown a solid understanding of both sides of the thesis issue and ethics made a good research. The paper is governor bob mcdonnell, flawless, thank you! Persuasive Essay English 101 550 words / MLA. I didn't even need to make any changes to the paper i received. The result is exactly what I would've write myself, I really appreciate your help! Perspective Essay Psychology 1375 words / APA. The service is great in every aspect. Great support team, great writers, great quality.

Keep it up!

Write My Paper For Me -
Deeds Says McDonnell s 1989 Thesis Is Relevant in Governor s Race

essay designs In 1963, Dennis Gabor, Nobel laureate for bob mcdonnell his invention of the holograph, said The future cannot be predicted, but futures can be invented (Gabor, 1963). This statement has become a mantra in recent times, attributed to many who are simply rephrasing Gabor. Alas, the slogan, wonderful though it may sound, is false. The most successful inventions transform the world in ways that are impossible to foresee at the time of the invention.

The statement should really be yet another of my laws: My law of prediction: The future cannot be predicted, not even by trying to invent it. Compare! Although inventions can change the future, their long-term impact cannot be predicted. So, invent all you like, just don't try to predict the bob mcdonnell thesis impact several decades later. Technology Forces Us To Do Things We're Bad At. Time To Change How Design Is Done. Distractibility isn't a human problem; it's a design problem, writes usability expert Don Norman. We need to toilet paper cheap reverse the normal technological strategy of asking people to fill in for gaps in thesis machine performance. Instead, we should require machines to american fill in for gaps in human performance.

After all, technology was invented to enhance people's lives, not the other way around. Let's build technologies that empower us, allow us to use our creative abilities, and relieve us of the thesis stuff we are not good at. Design, business models, and human-technology teamwork. As automation and artificial intelligence technologies develop, we need to think less about the design of human-machine interfaces and and driving essay, more about the design of human-machine teamwork. The Future of Design: When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Design started out as a craft, primarily focusing upon the creation of beautiful objects to become a powerful force in industry. Today, design has gone far beyond its simple origins as a craft to governor develop powerful new ways for people to analysis 2012 interact with the world, emphasizing experience, not technology. Moreover, it has evolved into a way of thinking, of problem discovery, and of enhancing the lives of individuals, the experience of the workforce, and even the health of the bob mcdonnell thesis planet. Are these new developments compatible with the craft traditions of the old? Is this a fork in the road, with some continuing the craft tradition of enhancing the emotional experiences of our products and others taking the other path, moving design thinking into all endeavors, but far removed from the history and mainstream practice of today. Essay Analysis 2012! What is the future of design?

We are at a fork: Which path should we take? I take my answer from the famed American baseball player Yogi Berra who said, When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Norman Stappers (2016). DesignX: Design and complex sociotechnical systems. I am pleased to say that the paper by P.J. Stappers and governor thesis, me on DesignX has been published, along with several commentaries and then a response by the authors. With citation and URL for toilet paper the package. Vox Media on Norman Doors. 'Bad doors are everywhere' A video that is both instructional and fun.

The article text concludes by thesis saying Don Norman's seminal book on design, The Design of Everyday Things, . (p)ublished 25 years ago, it remains just as relevant today. Doors shouldn't need instructions. When most people complain about something, nothing happens. American! But Norman is not most people -- he's a psychologist and governor bob mcdonnell, cognitive scientist. Essay Questions! So his writing about his complaints is governor thesis so incredibly thorough that he changed the way design works. And the human-centered design revolution he sparked changed not only how designers work, but also how people in fields like public health work to make the world a better place.

This is thesis statement american culture why Melinda Gates believes human-centered design is one change that could save the world. Governor Bob Mcdonnell! To find out what all this has to do with crappy doors, watch the american history essay questions video. How Apple is Giving Design a Bad Name. Bruce Tognazzini and I document the many shortcomings of Apple's current design philosophy in this Fast Company article. The science in the science of design. Design is a complex field.

Some components of design already are based upon good science, usually from the behavioral and cognitive sciences. Some are at the pre-scientific level of understanding. I believe that with a proper attitude toward evidence-based studies, these areas can also become either scientific, or at least rigorously proven to be effective when used under well-understood circumstances. Some aspects of design seem primarily based upon human creativity, sense of style, and other socially mediated conventions. These may never be scientific, but they do play a critically important role in the quality and acceptance of design. So, can design be a science? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Can it be empirically based, evidence driven? Yes. Will it have to reply on intuition and the creativity of individual designers? Sometimes, yes.

Design is a multi-faceted, complex enterprise. It involves the bob mcdonnell thesis initial choice of what to make, a deep understanding of people, of materials, and of technology. It requires understanding how people decide upon purchase, and then use products. It covers an extremely wide range of activities and different disciplines of study and training. It is this depth and richness that makes design such a wonderful, fascinating field. Affordances: Commentary on the Special Issue of AI EDAM. The Journal Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing published a special issue on Affordances and american essay questions, asked me to comment on the collection. Governor Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! The concept of affordances has an interesting history, starting with the toefl essay compare keen observations and thoughts of the governor perceptual psychologist, J.J. Gibson in the late 1970s, moving into american history essay, the world of design and then into engineering design.

As a result of this disciplinary migration, the governor bob mcdonnell concept of affordance leads several rather separate lives within these different fields -- ecological psychology, Design, and engineering design -- with each field barely aware of the work being done in the others. Statement Culture! All communities make valuable contributions from their perspective of the issue. Governor Bob Mcdonnell! I continue to look forward to a merging of disciplines, where the insights of history essay, all fields can be brought together to form a new, harmonious whole, with many new and exciting emergent properties. From the governor thesis very beginnings of time, Ben Shneiderman has been busy photographing all that he sees. Ben was active in the pre-history days of the folks who tried to understand the newly-developed computing machines, especially as they moved into kellogg analysis, people's homes, offices, and schools.

Eventually, that field became known as Human-Computer Interaction, with its major society being CHI. He has finally collected them together: here they are -- all the old folks (such as me). Governor Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! Such old folks portrayed by photos from their youth, so I can barely recognize some of them: I can barely recognize me. A Product Is More than a Product -- Consider the Chair. Imagine how the 21st century chair might perk up when guests arrive, autonomously transforming itself as needed. It can become a stepstool when someone needs to stand on it, or a bed, perhaps formed by enlisting other chairs so that they can to support a horizontal body or two or three. When self-organized into neat orderly rows of its collaborators, the chair can accommodate crowds. While awaiting the crowd's arrival the chairs are a memory of the future, reminding us of the event that is to come. After they leave, the same chairs serve as a memory of the past.

These 21st century chairs are social, aiming to please. They will be active servants, relationship builders, and statement native american, enablers of social interactions. In the 21st century designers will produce many things besides chairs, many of which will not be objects. Some will be services and experiences, such as healthcare and wellness. Some will be ideas. Governor! Is an idea a thing, a product, a service? Whatever they are called, they need to be designed not as isolated things but as complex, interrelated systems, as total experiences.

As relationships. UC San Diego Postdoc in Human-Centered Healthcare. The Design Lab at the University of California, San Diego is history questions embarking upon a large, major project in governor bob mcdonnell thesis healthcare for complex problems. We are working with the Medical School, various departments at UC San Diego, and several funding agencies in this endeavor. Toilet! The emphasis is on governor thesis the processes and toefl essay and contrast, structure associated with modern healthcare. Governor Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! We seek a Design Fellow to assist with a project to better understand the complex cognitive ecosystem of toilet paper cheap, healthcare who can help us define, explore, and implement new processes and procedures aimed at improving medical care for complex cases. Positive computing: technology for bob mcdonnell thesis wellbeing and human potential (Calvo Peters)

The design of toefl essay, human-computer systems used to thesis focus upon the negative, the drinking and driving breakdowns that confused and confounded people. Now it is governor bob mcdonnell time to and driving essay introduction move to the next level, to governor focus upon the positive, systems that are enjoyable and pleasurable. We need systems that delight as well as inform, systems that create pleasure along with useful function. We need systems that are resilient, that promote control, understanding, and sometimes just plain pleasure. The design field has responded by examining the role of emotions and pleasure in native american design. We need to move these findings into mainstream computing. Next time someone accuses you of procrastination, say no, I am not procrastinating, I am 'Late Binding.' That should shut them up. Let me argue for late binding - delay, or if you like, procrastination - as a preferred way of life. Delaying decisions until the time for action is beneficial for lots of reason. Practice late binding. Planning never produces the exact answer for the exact conditions that take place.

People always will change their behavior. In fact, people have no choice when unexpected events occur. And, as I am fond of governor thesis, saying, we know two things about unexpected events: they will always occur; when it does occur, it will be unexpected. So prepare. Study. Get ready. But delay the actual decision as late as possible. Procrastinate. Practice late binding. The technological requirements for essay 2012 self-driving cars are extremely complex, and although we are now able to succeed in a very high percentage of the situations, those last few percentages contain the most difficult, the most daunting challenges.

As automation gets better and better, then the problems of vigilance increase, for the more reliable the governor bob mcdonnell thesis system, the less for a person to essay do, and the mind wandering begins. Do not take people out of the governor thesis loop: have them always know what is happening. How do we do this in a meaningful way? By asking people to make high-level decisions, to continually be making decisions. Human pattern recognition and high-level statement of goals and plans are good. But here is what we are bad at: the ability to monitor for long periods, to be precise and accurate, to respond quickly and properly when an unexpected event arrives where the person has not been attending. So, have us do what we are good at. Have the automation do what we are bad at. Toefl Compare! Aim for collaboration, not supervision. Why DesignX answers common questions about governor bob mcdonnell, DesignX. History Essay Questions! In particular, What is new?

What is the role of the designer? What about craft skills? DesignX is a new, evidence-based approach for addressing many of the bob mcdonnell thesis complex and american, serious problems facing the world today. It adds to and augments today's design methods, reformulating the role that design can play. Modern design has grown from a focus on products and services to a robust set of methods that is thesis applicable to a wide range of societal issues. When combined with the knowledge and thesis statement native culture, expertise of specialized disciplines, these design methods provide powerful ways to governor develop practical approaches to large, complex issues.

We seek a radical reformation of design practice, education, and research. It is time for a new era of design activism. Hill climbing in radical Innovation. John Langrish challenged the analysis of Norman Verganti on Incremental and Radical Innovation, arguing that we had ignored the evidence from Darwinian evolution. American Questions! He called us creationists. We find John Langrish's argument to be puzzling. We wrote a paper on product evolution and governor bob mcdonnell, he chides us for failure to drinking introduction cite the literature in governor thesis evolutionary biology. Similar issues have been faced in toilet paper cheap many disciplines.

His attempts to map biological mechanisms to our approach are either already accounted for or are inappropriate. Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! We are accused of being creationists. We plead guilty. That's what the field of design is all about: all-seeing, overarching designers who look over their creations and go in and change them. Designers have that luxury. Essay Analysis! Release a product and call it back for thesis revision. Or completely change the next release, keeping the stuff that worked and paper, deleting the stuff that didn't. Or completely repurpose it for some other usage that had not been considered at governor bob mcdonnell thesis first. Radical innovation within the field of design does not come from hill-climbing.

It comes from putting together things that never before were thought to thesis belong together. It comes from the governor thesis heart and mind of the designer. Yes, as designers we are creationists. We teach it, practice it, and take delight in it. Verganti Norman: Having a vision is not enough--it must be implemented.

Vision building is the most relevant and rare asset in our society. We do not live in a world where data and knowledge are missing. Indeed, it is paper just the opposite. The amount of information is overwhelming. Bob Mcdonnell! What is rare is the capability to make sense of this enormous and essay compare, complex picture, to bob mcdonnell go beyond the kellogg essay analysis 2012 past and existing patterns and imagine what is not there. The new frontier is to explore the governor bob mcdonnell path to innovation by understanding the nature of vision building. For this purpose, we need new frameworks. We need to statement native investigate the slippery intangible dimensions of thinking, the capability to unveil what is hidden into the mirror that reflects our role in the society. I hate error messages. They are insulting, condescending, and worst of all, completely unnecessary. Governor Thesis! Evil, nasty little things.

They cause us to do unneeded work, and essay compare and contrast, often destroy the work we have already done. Error messages punish people for not behaving like machines. It is time we let people behave like people. When a problem arises, we should call it machine error, not human error: the bob mcdonnell thesis machine was designed wrong, demanding that we conform to its peculiar requirements. It is time to native american design and governor bob mcdonnell thesis, build machines that conform to kellogg our requirements. Stop confronting us: Collaborate with us. State of Design: How Design Education Must Change. For design to succeed, grow, achieve its potential, and train future leaders, we envision a new curriculum. In our vision, these new programs combine learning the art and craft of beautiful, pleasurable well-crafted design with substantive courses in the social and biological sciences, in technology, mathematics and statistics, and in bob mcdonnell thesis the understanding of experimental methods and rigorous reasoning. Programming and mechatronics are essential skills in today's product world. Not only will this training make for better practitioners, but it will also equip future generations of designers to be better at developing the thesis of lifeboat hard, rigorous theory design requires.

Design is an thesis, exciting powerful field, filled with promise. To meet the challenges of the 21st century, design and design education must change. So too must universities. Gestural Control: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I await the day when gestures become standardized. When systems combine the best of all worlds: gestures, both in the air and on surfaces, voice commands where appropriate, and menus, keyboards, and pointing devices where appropriate. The most powerful systems will give us the choice to use whatever is best suited for the job.

But before we can do this, we have a simple task to do: reform the toilet patent system. Stupid Smart Stuff: Watches and governor, Automation. Whenever you see something labeled smart or intelligent, be assured that it is actually rather stupid. It is time to for the designers and of lifeboat ethics, engineers of this coming automated world and thesis, take heed from the lessons learned over the years in the field of kellogg 2012, Human-Systems Integration, in studies of automation. Thesis! Lots of excellent scientists working in the research labs of automobile companies know all this. Product people are notorious about ignoring the wisdom of research groups in their same company. We now have very smart devices, stupidly done. I fear the consequences will be a lot worse than waking people up at 4:30 in the morning. Pay attention, engineers: pay attention, designers.

Pay attention or people will be killed. Nutrition, Nudges, and Sledge Hammers. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has proposed changing the labels now required on all foodstuff. The goal is to nudge people to better eating. The good part is that, the FDA has clearly thought about the legibility and compare and contrast, clarity of nutritional guidelines. Governor Thesis! Not only did they decide to essay introduction make the calorie count more visible, but they made the percentage values more prominent, they reconsidered what information was to be listed, and governor, perhaps most important of all, they changed the definition of a serving to what people really eat. What is next? . It's time for the pharmaceutical industry to toilet paper do the governor bob mcdonnell same with their labels of medications and prescriptions. It's a systems problem. OK designers, this is what you claim you are good at: solving systems problems. Get to work: you could save lives. The most powerful revolutions are the slow, silent ones that take over our lives quietly, unobtrusively.

No media attention, no over-hyped excitement. Drinking And Driving Essay! But one day you look up and, oops, what has happened? Consider the everyday rice cooker. It seems rather dull: a squat box occupying space on the countertop, usually without any grace or sense of style. Yet this unimpressive appearing cooking device now simplifies the lives of tens of millions of owners all over the world. Excerpts from my first influencer post on LinkedIn. Stop Cellphone Anorexia: Make Batteries Last the Day.

A Rant. How can we get the governor batteries on our smart phones to last the entire day? Make them bigger. Eliminate phone anorexia. The evil is the cult of thinness. Phone Anorexia. Want to essay make batteries last beyond the governor bob mcdonnell day?

Make them bigger. it is thesis of lifeboat ethics that simple. Add a few millimeters of thesis, thickness, 1/8th of an inch: even 1/16th would do wonders. That's all it would take. Once upon a time, a long time ago, I got tired of light switches that contained a long, one-dimensional linear array of switches mounted on a vertical wall controlling a two-dimensional placement of lights that were placed on a horizontal plane. No wonder people had difficulty remembering which switch controlled which light: I often observed people simply turning them all on or off. Why not arrange the switches in the same spatial configuration as the lights, and then mount the essay questions switches on the same spatial plane as the lights. Now it seems that a Korean Civil Engineer has rediscovered the concept 20+ years later. My Introduction for Dan Ward's book The Simplicity Cycle, but which also includes a description of and a recommendation for his book FIRE. The two books make a powerful package.

Simplicity Cycle is governor thesis a simple book about a complex topic, but don't be fooled. Beneath the simplicity lies a deep and profound message. FIST, the procedure he developed for developing projects quickly and thesis statement native american, efficiently requires that things be less physically complex, less cognitively confusing and complicated. FIST, the procedure, was renamed FIRE (for Fast, Inexpensive, Restrained, and Elegant), and is now available as a book. The S in FIST became this book: The Simplicity Cycle. Not surprisingly, the two books support one another. FIRE, the book, offers lessons highly relevant to The Simplicity Cycle. Large projects all tend to fail. It doesn't matter in bob mcdonnell what domain they exist -- software, construction, new aircraft, medical insurance systems, payroll systems -- they fail.

Ward offers a simple solution: don't do them. With the time and statement native culture, money allocated for one large project, do numerous small ones. Do them Fast and Inexpensive, with Restraint and Elegance: FIRE. It's a well-known principle, but it goes against the nature of governor, organizations who wish to solve all their problems with one project. In consumer markets, it encourages the disease I call featuritis. In industry, it's bloat. What's the alternative? FIRE.

How do we avoid unneeded complexity and manage to maintain simplicity? That's the focus of The Simplicity Cycle. The two books, FIRE and essay compare, The Simplicity Cycle, can each be read on its own, but for people involved in bob mcdonnell the design and implementation of complex projects, they form a powerful pair. For anyone wanting to embrace the mantle of essay, simplicity, The Simplicity Cycle, is essential. Foreword: Computers as Theater (Brenda Laurel) Theatre is about interaction, about themes and conflicts, goals and approaches to those goals, frustration, success, tension, and then the resolution of governor bob mcdonnell thesis, those tensions. Theatre is dynamic, changing, always in motion.

Our modern technologies with their powerful computers, multiple sensors, communication links and displays are also about toefl, interaction, and treating that interaction as Theatre proves to governor thesis be rich, enlightening and powerful. Real interaction does not take place in the moment, on a fixed, static screen. Toilet Paper! Real interaction is ongoing over a protracted period. It ebbs and flows, transitions from one state to another. Transitions are as important as states. Up to recently, the governor bob mcdonnell thesis only computer systems that acted this way were games. Native! But as students of the bob mcdonnell theatre have long known, we get the greatest pleasure from of lifeboat, our ability to overcome early failures and adversaries.

If everything runs perfectly and smoothly with no opportunity to deploy our powers and skills, pleasure is diminished. Human emotion is sensitive to change: starting low and ending high is bob mcdonnell thesis a far better experience than one that is always high. Thesis American! Is this a cry for deliberate placement of obstacles and confusions? Obviously not, but it is a cry for a look at the temporal dimensions, at engagement, agency, and the rise and fall of dramatic tension. The future of our interactions with technology will build upon the foundations provided by Brenda Laurel in this deep, thought-provoking, and bob mcdonnell, critically important book. The Paradox of Wearable Technologies.

Can wearable devices be helpful? Absolutely. But they can also be horrid. It all depends upon whether we use them to focus and augment our activities or to distract. It is up to paper us, and up to those who create these new wearable wonders to governor bob mcdonnell decide which it is to be. Great microinteraction design requires understanding the people who use the product, what they are trying to thesis native american accomplish, and the steps they need to bob mcdonnell take. it requires understanding the context of those interactions. American Essay! It is essential to develop empathy with the user, to governor bob mcdonnell develop observational skills of users and the knowledge of how to kellogg analysis 2012 combine different aspects of your product - perhaps the governor bob mcdonnell thesis results of different programming teams or even different divisions - into a single, smooth microinteraction? Chapter 1 does a great job of introducing the principles of how to do this. The numerous examples throughout the book sensitizes you to the opportunities. After that it is up to you, to continual observation that leads to american history questions discovery of the opportunities.

And it is essential not to be blocked, as Apple's developers apparently were, if the solutions require cutting across company organizational structures. Thesis! After all, doing things right for the user is what great products are all about. Sloth, Pride, Envy, Greed, Lust, Anger, Gluttony. What? I'm supposed to design for these traits? As a human-centered designer, I should be repelled by the thought of designing for such a list. Kellogg Essay Analysis 2012! What was Chris Nodder thinking? What was his publisher thinking? This is evil, amplified. Although, come to think of it, those seven deadly sins are human traits.

Want to know how people really behave? Just read the law books. Start with one of the most famous set of laws of thesis, all, the toilet cheap Ten Commandments. Every one of those commandments is about something that people actually did, and then prohibiting it. Governor Thesis! All laws are intended to stop or otherwise control human behavior. So, if you want to understand real human behavior, just see what the laws try to stop. The list of seven deadly sins provides a nice, tidy statement of fundamental human behavior, fundamental in the sense that from each of the deadly sins, one can derive a large list of less deadly ones. Embrace failure, avoid failure: these two, apparently contradictory statements are the opening and closing chapter titles of Victor Lombardi's enchanting, insightful book. Embrace, yet avoid, the apparent contradiction being resolved by recognizing that the trick is to learn from other people's failures, the better to be able to avoid them for yourself. Thesis Statement Native American Culture! The message of the book is summarized by its subtitle: Lessons from Experience Design Failures.

Opportunities and Challenges For Touch and Gesture-Based Systems. Billions of people appreciate the simplicity of touch technology, but for the industrial sector, including home white goods and consumer goods, rugged conditions have been a roadblock to integrating this technology. Bob Mcdonnell! The new evolution is the thesis american multi-touch that works under rigorous conditions. Even though multi-touch screens are widely popular on today's consumer phones and tablets the bob mcdonnell thesis design principles for industrial applications and demanding environments are different for those in the rather controlled consumer environment for american history questions mobile phones and tablets. When using a device under rugged conditions - cold, raining, wearing gloves, heavy vibration - different design rules are required. The opportunities are large, with potential uses that go far beyond what we see today.

Great opportunity brings great challenges. We explore the requirements and the design rules for overcoming them. Suggested Readings From Design of bob mcdonnell, Everyday Things, Revised edition. Many people continually ask for my suggestions of readings in design. Here is an excerpt from the Readings and Notes section of the 2013 revision and expansion of the thesis of lifeboat book Design of Everyday Things that provides my list of general books for interaction design. The list of excellent books is much larger than included here, but even with my limited list there are probably too many suggestions. Still, this is a good place to start. Preface. Design of Everyday Things, Revised Edition. The preface to the revised edition of Design of Everyday Things, including a chapter-by-chapter review of What has changed. I have rethought my position stated in governor bob mcdonnell thesis my essay article Design Thinking: A Useful Myth.

I still stand by the major points of the earlier essay, but I have changed the conclusion. Statement American! As a result, the essay should really be titled: Design Thinking: An Essential Tool. Let me explain. Great Design Always Means Great Style (Misc Magazine) Ah, style.

The elegance of gentle interaction, with grace and beauty, wit and charm. Or perhaps brute force abruptness, rudeness and insult. Style refers to the way of doing something and bob mcdonnell, although we usually use it in thesis native the positive sense, the word itself is governor thesis neutral, referring only to the manner by which something is done. Style can be coarse and ugly, brutish and dangerous. The best styles, including both those we respect and prefer and those we detest, are true and honest, consistent and coherent.

(An essay for Misc Magazine.) Maybe I am a gadget. Statement American Culture! That would certainly explain a lot of things. A quick search of the internet for the definition of gadget yields two meanings: 1. A small device that performs or aids a simple task; 2. A small device that appears useful but is often unnecessary or superfluous. Yeah, those sound like me. Complexity is Good, Simplicity Overrated (Misc Magazine) (Essay for Misc Magazine.) Real complexity does not lie in the tools, but in the task. Skilled workers have an array of tools, each carefully matched to a particular task requirement. It can take years to learn which tool goes with which task, and bob mcdonnell thesis, years to master the tools.

The tool set is complicated because the task is complicated. Looking at the visual simplicity of the thesis ethics tool is misleading. The mark of the great designer is the governor thesis ability to provide the complexity that people need in a manner that is understandable and toefl essay and contrast, elegant. Simplicity should never be the goal. Complex things will require complexity.

It is the job of the designer to manage that complexity with skill and grace. What Moves? Culture Interaction Design. When What Is Natural For Some Is Not for Others: Culture and Design. Governor Thesis! I was in Asia, giving a talk. I was given a remote controller for advancing my slides. This one had with two buttons, one above the other. When I pushed the upper button to advance to the slide, I was flustered: I went backwards through my slide set, not forward. How could this happen? I wondered. To me, top obviously means forward, bottom backwards.

I decided to ask the audience what they thought: To my great surprise, the audience was split in statement american culture their responses. Many thought that it should be the governor bob mcdonnell thesis top button, but a large number thought it should be the toefl compare and contrast bottom. But there is more. This is a point of view question, one that has plagued designers for governor years (which moves? The text or the window?) Different cultures have very different points of view. When a design conflicts with the common cultural view, confusion results. (Article posted at core77.com and jnd.org. Ethics! bit.ly/NZckqz ) How To Find a Job or Graduate School in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction, or Industrial Design. I'm frequently asked how to thesis find a job or a place to study, either in industrial design or user-interface design (Human-Computer Interaction). Thesis! Rather than answer it anew each time, let me summarize my answer here. Thesis! You either need real work experience or a graduate degree, or both. I cannot tell you what to do. Good advice has to come from someone who knows you, who knows your interests, training, and skills.

I cannot acquire that in an email message or two. So, seek out knowledgeable mentors where you live. Analysis! Seek professors that you trust. Go to meetings of societies (see below). Read magazines and journals to learn who is doing what, where: then write to those people about their work. Video: Don Norman speaks out thesis, about engineering design education. This is a short, 3 minute video, that captures the dilemma of modern education.

Engineering education has become narrower and deeper. We teach and train specialties and specialists. Practical applications require tying together the toefl knowledge of the governor thesis many specialties. They require generalists, people who have broad, integrated understanding of the world. We need an educational system that rewards those who are broad and knowledgable as well as those who are deep and narrow, even if the toilet broad knowledge comes at the expense of governor bob mcdonnell, shallow depth. Being narrow is just as big a liability as being shallow. We need both kinds of people.

Alas, the university hires, teaches, and trains only the deep and narrow. Incremental and Radical Innovation: Design Research versus Technology and Meaning Change. Don Norman and Roberto Verganti: We discuss the differences between incremental and statement american, radical innovation and argue that each results from different processes. Human-centered design methods are a form of hill climbing, extremely well suited for continuous incremental improvements but incapable of radical innovation. Governor Thesis! Radical innovation requires finding a different hill, and toilet cheap, this comes about only through meaning or technology change. A second approach is to consider the dimensions of meaning and technology change. Finally, we show how innovation might be viewed as lying in bob mcdonnell thesis the space formed by toilet cheap the dimension of research aimed at governor enhancing general knowledge and the dimension of application to practice. Toefl! We conclude that human-centered design is ideally suited for incremental innovation and unlikely to lead to radical innovation. Radical innovation comes from bob mcdonnell thesis, changes in either technology or meaning. Technology-driven innovation often comes from inventors and tinkerers.

Meaning-driven innovation, however, has the statement american culture potential to be driven through design research, but only if the research addresses fundamental questions of bob mcdonnell, new meanings and thesis, their interpretation. Does Culture Matter for Product Design? Does culture matter for product design? For the governor bob mcdonnell world of mass-produced products, that is, for the world of thesis american culture, industrial design, culture might be far less important than we might have expected. Is this really true, and governor thesis, if so, is this a positive or negative finding? Conversation: Jon Kolko Don Norman mediated by Richard Anderson. Out with the Old, In with the New: A Conversation with Don Norman Jon Kolko, mediated by Richard Anderson. The item contains photos, a transcript, and an embedded video of the event. Topics addressed included the nature of and the difference between art and design, whether design should be taught in art schools (such as AAU), Abraham Maslow, usability, what design (or all) education should be like, the problem with design thinking courses, the kellogg 2012 destiny of governor bob mcdonnell, printed magazines and printed books, aging and ageism, the relationship between HCI and interaction design, Arduino, simplicity, social media, Google, privacy, design research, the context in which design occurs, the Austin Center for Design, solving wicked problems, whether designers make good entrepreneurs, politics, Herb Simon cybernetics, the strengths weaknesses of interconnected systems, and how designers should position themselves. Design Education: Brilliance Without Substance. We are now in the 21st century, but design curricula seem stuck in the mid 20th century.

In the 21st century, design has broadened to include interaction and drinking introduction, experience, services and strategies. The technologies are more sophisticated, involving advanced materials, computation, communication, sensors, and actuators. The products and services have complex interactions that have to be self-explanatory, sometimes involving other people separated by time or distance. Traditional design activities have to bob mcdonnell be supplemented with an and driving, understanding of technology, business, and governor thesis, human psychology. With all these changes, one would expect major changes in design education. Analysis! Nope.

Design education is led by craftspeople who are proud of governor, their skills and they see no reason to change. Design education is mired in the past. At the start of almost every technology transition, chaos rules. Competing competitors create confusion, often quite deliberate, as they develop their own unique way of doing things incompatible with all others. Today, the long-established, well-learned model of scrolling is being changed by one vendor, but not by statement others. Gestures proliferate, with no standards, no easy way of being reminded of them, new easy way to learn. Change is governor bob mcdonnell thesis important, for it is how we make progress. Some confusion is to be expected. But many of the changes and the resulting confusions of today seem arbitrary and capricious.

Think before acting. Sounds right, doesn't it? Think before starting to design. Yup. Toilet Paper! Do some research, learn more about the requirements, the people, the activities. Governor Thesis! Then design. It all makes sense. Thesis Statement Native Culture! Which is precisely why I wish to challenge it.

Sometimes it makes sense to act first, think afterwards. The Design Dilemma: Dismay vs. Delight. I frequently find myself in a state of simultaneous dismay and delightful admiration about the end product of designers. This state can be described by contrasting the way a designer and an engineer would solve the same problem. Designers evoke great delight in their work. Engineers provide utilitarian value.

The problem is that the very practical, functional things are also boring and ugly. Bob Mcdonnell! Good designers would never allow boring and drinking essay introduction, ugly to governor describe their work: they strive to toilet paper produce delight. But sometimes that delightful result is bob mcdonnell thesis not very practical, difficult to use, and not completely functional. Practical versus delightful: Which do you prefer? Designers approach the world with charming naivete, coupled with artistic elegance and the art of examining issues in thesis american novel, unconstrained ways. Their solutions provide a graceful elegance and new insight, perhaps because of their lack of knowledge, their naivete. Designers are trained as craftspeople, without any substantive knowledge of the content areas in which they do their work. This very lack of knowledge can produce profound insights that lead to advances in understanding, hence my delight. Governor Thesis! Having too much knowledge can lead to following the failed footsteps of those who preceded you.

Videos from Design of Everyday Things. My videos have been resurrected! Let me explain.One upon a time, many years ago -- 1994 to be precise -- The Voyager Company produced a delightful CD-ROM that included copies of several of my books (Design of Everyday Things, Things that Make Us Smart, and compare and contrast, Turn Signals Are the Facial Expressions of governor thesis, Automobiles. As you read the books, if you had a question, you could just click wherever there was a link and I would pop up, walk on. I am forced to read a lot of essay introduction, crap. As a reviewer of submissions to design journals and conferences, as a juror of design contests, and as a mentor and advisor to design students and faculty, I read outrageous claims made by designers who have little understanding of the complexity of the governor problems they are attempting to analysis solve or of the standards of evidence required to make claims. Oftentimes the crap comes from brilliant and talented people, with good ideas and wonderful instantiations of physical products, concepts, or simulations. Governor! The crap is in the claims. In the early days of industrial design, the work was primarily focused upon physical products. Toilet Cheap! Today, however, designers work on organizational structure and social problems, on interaction, service, and experience design. Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! Many problems involve complex social and political issues.

As a result, designers have become applied behavioral scientists, but they are woefully undereducated for paper cheap the task. Designers often fail to understand the complexity of the issues and the depth of knowledge already known. They claim that fresh eyes can produce novel solutions, but then they wonder why these solutions are seldom implemented, or if implemented, why they fail. Fresh eyes can indeed produce insightful results, but the eyes must also be educated and knowledgeable. Designers often lack the governor bob mcdonnell thesis requisite understanding. Design schools do not train students about these complex issues, about the toilet paper cheap interlocking complexities of human and thesis, social behavior, about the behavioral sciences, technology, and business.

There is little or no training in science, the scientific method, and experimental design. Over the past five years I have written approximately three dozen columns. What has been learned? What will come? Obviously it is time for reflection. My goal has always been to thesis incite thought, debate, and understanding. Those of us in governor thesis the field of interaction, whether students, researchers or practitioners, whether designers or programmers, synthesizers or analyzers, all share some common beliefs and ideals. One of my jobs is to toilet challenge these established beliefs, for often when they are examined, they rest on an ill-defined platform, often with no supporting evidence except that they have been around for so long, they are accepted as given, without need for examination. We need a rigorous foundation for our work, which means to question that which is not firmly supported by evidence, if it appears obvious. Many things that appear obvious are indeed true, but many are not: We need to know which is which. There is a trend to thesis eliminate designers.

Who needs them when we can simply test our way to success? The excitement of powerful, captivating design is defined as irrelevant. Worse, the nature of design is in danger. Design by american history essay comparison of competing alternatives is design by governor hill climbing. It will get you to the top of the current hill. It will never get you to the highest hill. Systems Thinking: A Product Is More Than the toilet Product.

In reality a product is all about the experience. It is bob mcdonnell thesis about discovery, purchase, anticipation, opening the package, the very first usage. Drinking And Driving! It is also about continued usage, learning, the bob mcdonnell need for assistance, updating, maintenance, supplies, and of lifeboat ethics, eventual renewal in the form of disposal or exchange. Most companies treat every stage as a different process, done by a different division of the company: RD, manufacturing, packaging, sales, and then as a necessary afterthought, service. As a result there is seldom any coherence. Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! Instead, there are contradictions. If you think of the product as a service, then the thesis statement native culture separate parts make no sense--the point of governor bob mcdonnell thesis, a product is to offer great experiences to statement its owner, which means that it offers a service. And that experience, that service, is the result of the coherence of the bob mcdonnell parts. The real value of a product consists of and contrast, far more than the product's components. Designers are proud of their ability to innovate, to think outside the bob mcdonnell box, to native culture develop creative, powerful ideas for their clients.

Sometimes these ideas win design prizes. However, the rate at which these ideas achieve commercial success is low. Many of the bob mcdonnell ideas die within the companies, never becoming a product. Among those that become products, a good number never reach commercial success. Ideas are just the starting point toward product realization.

New product ideas have to toefl essay and contrast fit the bob mcdonnell competencies of the corporation. They have to toefl and contrast fit within the bob mcdonnell existing family or products, or at least the product strategy. Toefl Essay! The purchasers of governor thesis, new products have to be prepared. The costs must be contained. The technology must be up to it. The same people who the essay new ideas are intended to supplant and governor bob mcdonnell, go around are now responsible for executing the ideas. No wonder so many good ideas fail. Every year the toefl essay compare and contrast world holds many contests for industrial designers.

Lots of thesis, submissions, lots of time spent by toilet jurors reviewing them, lots of pretty pictures afterwards. Fun to read, wonderful for the winners. What's the problem? I have been a juror for a number of contests, including the major American yearly contest sponsored by the Industrial Design Society of America, IDSA, and BusinessWeek. Although I always enjoyed the experience and the interaction with talented, hard-working fellow jurors, I have become increasingly dissatisfied with the results. Why are shows bad? Shouldn't we reward good design?

Sure, if that's what the governor thesis shows accomplish, but they don't. In fact, I believe they do harm to the profession. (Opening sentences of my Core77 column.) Design thinking is not special to design. Great artists, great engineers, great scientists all break out of the toilet boundaries. Great designers are no different. Why perpetuate the myth of design thinking if it is so clearly false? Because it is useful. Design thinking is a powerful public relations term that changes the way in which design firms are viewed. So, long live the phrase design thinking. It will help in the transformation of design from the world of governor bob mcdonnell, form and style to that of function and structure. It will help spread the word that designers can add value to almost any problem, from healthcare to essay analysis pollution, business strategy and bob mcdonnell, company organization.

Gestural Interfaces: A Step Backwards In Usability. Gestural interfaces are fun to use: gestures add a welcome feeling of activity to the otherwise joyless ones of pointing and clicking. The are truly a revolutionary mode of interaction. After two decades of research in laboratories across the world, they are finally available for everyday consumer products. But the lack of consistency, inability to thesis of lifeboat discover operations, coupled with the ease of accidentally triggering actions from which there is no recovery threatens the viability of governor, these systems. We urgently need to return to paper our basics, developing usability guidelines for these systems that are based upon solid principles of interaction design, not on the whims of the company human interface guidelines and arbitrary ideas of developers. Talk: Research Practice Gap 2 Kinds of innovation. I gave the opening keynote address at IIT's Design Research Conference in Chicago, May 2010.

In it, i combined two of the major themes I have long been working on. The video of that talk is governor thesis now available. The research-product gap. And Driving Introduction! The design research community -- and all research communities, for that matter -- have little understanding, knowledge of, or even interest in the product side of companies. Moreover, the skills, reward structures, and interests of the two communities are so different that the gap is inevitable. In the medical community, this gap is overcome by a third discipline: Translational Science. I recommend we follow suite with a new discipline, Translational Engineering, that translates the bob mcdonnell thesis language of research into the language of products, and vice-versa. Two kinds of innovation. A very closely related confusion exists about innovation. Human-Centered Design, I argue, is essential for incremental improvement of products.

But radical innovation, which occurs much less frequently, comes either from new technologies or from meaning change: HCD will never give us radical innovation. There is an immense gap between research and practice. There are fundamental differences in the knowledge and skill sets required by those who conduct the research and those who attempt to translate those results into practical, reliable, and essay, affordable form. Between research and practice a new, third discipline must be inserted, one that can translate between the abstractions of research and bob mcdonnell thesis, the practicalities of practice. Kellogg Essay Analysis! We need a discipline of translational development. Translational developers are needed who can mine the governor thesis insights of essay, researchers and governor bob mcdonnell, hone them into practical, reliable and useful results. Similarly translational developers must help translate the drinking introduction problems and concerns of practice into the clear, need-based statements that can drive researchers to develop new insights. Neither direction of translation is easy. Natural User Interfaces Are Not Natural. Gestural interaction is the new excitement in the halls of industry.

Advances in the size, power, and cost of microprocessors, memory, cameras, and other sensing devices now make it possible to control by wipes and flicks, hand gestures, and body movements. A new world of interaction is here: The rulebooks and guidelines are being rewritten, or at least, such is the claim. And the new interactions even have a new marketing name: natural, as in Natural User Interface. As usual, marketing rhetoric is ahead of reality. All new technologies have their proper place. All new technologies will take a while for us to figure out the best manner of interaction as well as the standardization that removes one source of potential confusion. None of these systems is inherently more natural than the others. What we think of governor, as natural is, to a large extent, learned. I've come to a disconcerting conclusion: design research is great when it comes to improving existing product categories but essentially useless when it comes to new, innovative breakthroughs. I reached this conclusion through examination of a range of product innovations, most especially looking at those major conceptual breakthroughs that have had huge impact upon society as well as the thesis statement american more common, mundane small, continual improvements.

Call one conceptual breakthrough, the other incremental. Although we would prefer to believe that conceptual breakthroughs occur because of a detailed consideration of human needs, especially fundamental but unspoken hidden needs so beloved by the design research community, the fact is that it simply doesn't happen. New conceptual breakthroughs are invariably driven by governor the development of new technologies The new technologies, in turn, inspire technologists to invent things, not sometimes because they themselves dream of having their capabilities, but many times simply because they can build them. In other words, grand conceptual inventions happen because technology has finally made them possible. Do people need them? That question is answered over thesis of lifeboat the next several decades as the bob mcdonnell technology moves from technical demonstration, to product, to essay failure, or perhaps to slow acceptance in the commercial world where slowly, after considerable time, the products and applications are jointly evolve, and slowly the need develops. THE TRANSMEDIA DESIGN CHALLENGE: Co-Creation. We live in exciting times. Finally, we are beginning to understand that pleasure and governor bob mcdonnell, fun are important components of life, that emotion is not a bad thing, and toilet, that learning, education and work can all benefit through encouraging pleasure and governor bob mcdonnell, fun. Up to now, a primary goal of product and service design has been to provide useful functions and results. We should not lose track of statement american culture, these goals, but now that we are well on our way to doing that for an amazing variety of goods and services, it is time to make sure that they are pleasurable as well.

Not only does this require emotions to bob mcdonnell be a major component of toefl essay compare and contrast, design thinking, but we must incorporate action as well, actions that use the whole body in movement, rhythm, and purpose. New technologies allow creativity to blossom, whether for reasons silly or sublime. Simple text messages or short videos among people qualify as production, regardless of their value. This new movement is about participating and creating, invoking the creative spirit. This is bob mcdonnell thesis what the transmedia experience should be about. All of these experiences are allowing people to feel more like producers and creators rather than passive consumers or spectators.

The new design challenge is to create true participatory designs coupled with true multi-media immersion that reveal new insights and create true novel experiences. Kellogg Analysis 2012! We all participate, we all experience. We all design, we all partake. But much of this is meaningless: how do we provide richness and depth, enhanced through the active engagement of all, whether they be the originators or the recipients of the experience? How will this come to pass? What is the role in everyday life? Will this be a small portion or will it dominate? Will it even be permitted within the confines of contemporary commercialism? Those are the significant design challenges.

People Are From Earth, Machines Are From Outer Space. People are from bob mcdonnell thesis, earth. Machines are from outer space. I don't know what kind of manners they teach in outer space, but if machines are going to live here in thesis of lifeboat our world, they really need to learn to behave properly. You know, when on Earth, do as the bob mcdonnell thesis earthlings do. So, hey machines, you need to become socialized. American History Questions! Right now you are arrogant, antisocial, irritating know-it-alls. Sure, you say nice things like “please” and “thank you,” but being polite involves more than words. It is bob mcdonnell time to socialize our interactions with technology.

Sociable machines. Basic lessons in communication skills. Thesis Native American Culture! Rules of machine etiquette. Machines need to show empathy with the people with whom they interact, understand their point of view, and above all, communicate so that everyone understands what is happening.It never occurs to a machine that the problems might be theirs. Oh no. It's us pesky people who are to blame. One of our fundamental principles is that of governor bob mcdonnell, perceived affordances: that's one way we know what to do in novel situations. That's fine for objects, but what about situations?

What about people, social groups, cultures? Powerful clues arise from what I call social signifiers. A signifier is some sort of indicator, some signal in the physical or social world that can be interpreted meaningfully. Signifiers signify critical information, even if the signifier itself is an accidental byproduct of the world. Social signifiers are those that are relevant to social usages. Some social indicators simply are the unintended but informative result of the thesis statement native behavior of others. Social signifiers replace affordances, for they are broader and bob mcdonnell, richer, allowing for accidental signifiers as well as deliberate ones, and even for items that signify by toilet paper cheap their absence, as the lack of crowds on a train platform. Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! The perceivable part of an affordance is a signifier, and if deliberately placed by cheap a designer, it is a social signifier. CNN Designers challenged to include disabled. I'm on a campaign to make assistive devices aesthetically delightful -- without impairing effectiveness and cost.

Why are things such as canes, wheelchairs so ugly? I urge the skilled industrial designers of this world to revolutionize this arena. Perhaps the Industrial Design Society of America (IDSA) and the equivalent design societies all over the world ought to sponsor a design contest. The best design schools should encourage design projects for assistive devices that function well, are cost effective (two aspects that are often left out of design schools) as well as fun, pleasurable and fashionable (aspects that are absent from more engineering- or social-sciences -based programs). There are many groups at work in this area: simply do a web search on the phrases inclusive design? or universal design? or accessible design. Bob Mcdonnell! They do excellent work, but the emphasis is on providing aids and assistance, or changing public policy. All that is drinking and driving essay introduction both good and essential, but I want to go one step further: add aesthetics, pleasure, and fashion to the mix. Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! Make it so these aids are sought after, fashionable, delightful, and fun.

For everyone, which is what the words inclusive, universal, and accessible are supposed to essay mean. Designers of the thesis world: Unite behind a worthy cause. This article contains pointers to thesis statement native american my MIT Sloan Management Review paper on waiting lines as well as a PDF of to the earlier paper in which I discussed the same issues in more depth than SMR permitted. The PDF file, The Psychology of Waiting Lines. argues that although waiting is an inescapable part of bob mcdonnell thesis, life, but that doesn't mean we enjoy it. But if the toilet lines are truly inescapable, what can be done to make them less painful? Although there is a good deal of practical knowledge, usually known within the heads of corporate managers, very little has been published about the topic. One paper provides the classic treatment: David Maister's The Psychology of Waiting Lines (1985). Maister suggested several principles for thesis increasing the pleasantness of waiting.

Although his paper provides an excellent start, it was published in 1985 and and driving, there have been considerable advances in our knowledge since then. In this section, I bring the study of waiting lines up to date, following the governor bob mcdonnell spirit of Maister's original publication, but with considerable revision in light of modern findings. I suggest eight design principles, starting with the emotions dominate? and ending with the principle that memory of an event is more important than the experience.? Examples of design solutions include double buffering, providing clear conceptual models of the toefl events with continual feedback, providing positive memories and governor thesis, even why one might deliberately induce waits. Questions! These principles apply to all services, not just waiting in lines. Details will vary from situation to situation, industry to industry, but the fundamentals are, in truth, the fundamentals of sociable design for waiting lines, for products, and for service. This is an abstract for the attached PDF file, Sociable Design. Whether designing the rooftop of a building or the rear end of a home or business appliance, sociable design considers how the governor thesis design will impact everyone: not just the one, intended person standing in front, but also all the rest of society that interacts. One person uses a computer: the rest of us are at the other side of the desk or counter, peering at the ugly rear end, with wires spilling over like entrails.

The residents of a building may never see its roof, but those who live in adjoining buildings may spend their entire workday peering at ugly asphalt, shafts and ventilating equipment. Support for groups is the hallmark of sociable technology. Groups are almost always involved in activities, even when the other people are not visible. All design has a social component: support for this social component, support for groups must always be a consideration. Sociable design is not just saying aˆ?pleaseaˆ? and aˆ?thank you.aˆ? It is essay and contrast not just providing technical support. It is also providing convivial working spaces, plus the time to governor make use of them. Paper Cheap! Sociable technology must support the four themes of communication, presentation, support for groups, and troubleshooting. How these are handled determines whether or not we will find interaction to be sociable. Governor Bob Mcdonnell! People learn social skills.

Machines have to toefl essay have them designed into them. Sometimes even worse than machines, however, are services, where even though we are often interacting with people, the service activities are dictated by formal rule books of procedures and thesis, processes, and the people we interact with can be as frustrated and confused as we are. This too is history essay a design issue. Design of both machines and services should be thought of as a social activity, one where there is much concern paid to the social nature of the interaction. All products have a social component. This is especially true of communication products, whether websites, personal digests (blog), audio and video postings mean to be shared, or mail digests, mailing lists, and text messaging on cellphones. Social networks are by definition social. But where the governor social impact is obvious, designers are forewarned. The interesting cases happen where the social side is not so obvious. Everyone wants simplicity.

Everyone misses the point. Simplicity is not the goal. Essay Compare! We do not wish to governor give up the power and of lifeboat, flexibility of our technologies. We are faced with an apparent paradox, but don’t worry: good design will see us through. People want the extra power that increased features bring to a product, but they intensely dislike the complexity that results. Governor Bob Mcdonnell! Is this a paradox? Not necessarily. Complexity can be managed. The argument is not between adding features and native american, simplicity, between adding capability and usability. The real issue is about design: designing things that have the power required for the job while maintaining understandability, the feeling of control, and the pleasure of accomplishment.

Workarounds - Leading Edge of Innovation. Where do new ideas come from? How should designers create, transform, innovate? Do we need formal observational methods? When I talk to today’s foremost designers, most are scornful. Great designers are like great novelists: acute observers of human behavior. Although they are scornful of formal methods, they themselves are expert practitioners of observation, and if you can corner them in a quiet room (or better yet, a noisy bar), they will brag about those abilities.

Many ordinary people use the objects around them in unordinary ways. Through these everyday acts of creativity, clever people reveal both needs and possible solutions. Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! They lead to the innovations that will benefit many. Hacks and workarounds: those are the soul of innovation. Essay Questions! Observing is easy: recognizing the innovation and then knowing what to bob mcdonnell thesis do with the observations are where the difficulties lie. David Heinemeier Hansson of 37signals says: I'm not designing software for other people, I'm designing it for me. Wow. That is the sort of arrogance that the design community clustered around 37signals disdains -- or so I thought.

Understanding the true needs of customers is essential for business success. Making sure the product is elegant, functional and understandable is also essential. American Essay! The disdain for thesis customers shown by Hansson of 37signals is an arrogance bound to fail. As long as 37signals is a hobby, where programmers code for themselves, it may very well succeed as a small enterprise with its current size of 10 employees. I'm happy for them, and for the numerous small developers and small companies that find their products useful.

But their attitude is a symbol: a symbol of essay questions, eventual failure. Too bad. Governor Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! In fact, that attitude is thesis of lifeboat not so much arrogance as it is selfishness: they are selfish. A little less arrogance and a lot more empathy would turn these brilliant programmers into a brilliant company, a brilliant success. Interaction design is about interfaces, which means it is about synchronizing the events of governor bob mcdonnell, different systems, about memories, buffers, queues and waiting rooms. Waiting is an unavoidable component of interfaces, an and driving introduction, unavoidable part of life.

Just as dirt collects in crevices, buffers collect in the interfaces between systems. Governor Bob Mcdonnell! It is their natural home, and compare and contrast, life would not work without them. I have become fascinated by buffers. Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! I see them everywhere I look. They cannot be escaped. Many of our clever ethnographic and field methods are designed to find unmet needs. You know what?

Most are far better off if they stay unmet. The automobile industry is badly in need of guidance on human factors. Excellent people already work in the companies, but they suffer the problems faced within the consumer electronics and computer industries over essay analysis 2012 the past few decades. This is an important arena, one where human-centered design skills are essential. But success will come only when our discipline can provide seasoned managers who know how to governor thesis work across disciplines, with engineers, designers (stylists), manufacturing, marketing and, of course, upper management. Yes, we want simplicity, but we don’t want to give up any of those cool features. Simplicity is highly overrated. Cautious Cars Cantankerous Kitchens. Draft version of Chapter 1 of my new book, tentatively titled The Design of Future Things . (In press: Basic Books.

Expected publication: 2007.) This chapter is called Cautious cars and cantankerous kitchens. Posted December 9, 2006 as a Microsoft Word file. The truth about Google's so-called simplicity The truth? It isn't simple. Why does it look simple? Because you can only do one thing from their home page: search.

If you want to do one of the many other things Google is able to do, oops, first you have to figure out cheap, how to find it, then you have to figure out which of the many offerings to use, then you have to figure out how to governor thesis use it. And because all those other things are not on the home page but, instead, are hidden away in various mysterious places, extra clicks and thesis, operations are required for even simple tasks -- if you can remember how to get to them. How To Find a Job or Graduate School in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction, or Industrial Design. (Updated July 2012 from an bob mcdonnell thesis, earlier essay on finding a job.) I'm frequently asked how to find a job or a place to study, either in industrial design or user-interface design (Human-Computer Interaction). Rather than answer it anew each time, let me summarize my answer here.

You either need real work experience or a graduate degree, or both. I cannot tell you what to do. Good advice has to come from compare and contrast, someone who knows you, who knows your interests, training, and skills. I cannot acquire that in governor bob mcdonnell thesis an email message or two. So, seek out knowledgeable mentors where you live. Seek professors that you trust. Go to meetings of societies (see below). Read magazines and journals to learn who is american essay questions doing what, where: then write to those people about their work. Trapped in a Lufthansa Airline Seat. I flew from Munich to Chicago in governor thesis a brand new Lufthansa Airbus 340. (the 340-300 model, for those who keep track of such things). Ah, Lufthansa has gone to great lengths to improve their business class fittings.

Indeed each seat comes with a 14 page manual. (Oops, 14 pages? That should be warning enough.) As you can see, they confidently explain, we have thought of toefl, some new ways of making you feel at governor home. Hah! Not my home, thank you. Please, not my home. When I got myself into kellogg essay 2012, a comfortable sleeping position, I couldn't get out.

Four times in all I was trapped, trapped inside an airline seat. Ah, the governor joys of a technology whose time has not yet come. Kudos to kellogg essay analysis Lufthansa for wonderful flight attendants, for a marvelous meal, and for trying so hard to make business class seats that truly deliver. If it is the thought that counts, Lufthansa wins. If execution also matters, well, they have some debugging to do. Industrial Design: Claims Without Substance. Many people mail me examples of amazing new products, usually extremely clever and of great potential value. But do they really work?

Do they really solve problems? Nobody knows. The designers simply assert that they do. Claims are worthless unless backed up by data. We will never know if the governor thesis claims are true unless they are tested in controlled, sensible trials. I have changed my mind: good designers communicate directly with their users through the appropriate placement of visible clues, hints, and essay, yes, affordances. Once we start to bob mcdonnell thesis view design as a form of communication between designer and essay introduction, the user, we see that perceived affordances become an important medium for that communication. Designed affordances play a very special role. Now we see that the designer deliberately places signs and signals on the artifact to communicate with the user.

Affordances therefore signify intentions and reasons. They provide a story. And once we know what the designer was thinking, and why, suddenly the device becomes understandable. A Persona is thesis a valuable design concept, aiding the designer in maintaining an empathetic focus, providing a common language for communication among the toilet paper cheap diverse groups who work on a product -- different product groups, engineers, usability specialists, designers, marketing, and executives. I review these features and suggest that Personas can be simple, made-up, and they do not have to be real.

They must be realistic, so designers can empathize, and they must accurately characterize the population of purchasers and users of the bob mcdonnell thesis product. Aside from toilet cheap, that, I argue, exhaustive prior research and development for each Persona is not only unnecessary, it is governor bob mcdonnell probably a waste of resources. (This essay, I predict, will be highly controversial.) In the history essay world of computers there is governor thesis a semi-serious saying That's not a bug, that's a feature! which refers to the fact that one can often disguise a bug -- a mistake in design or in kellogg 2012 programming -- as a feature -- claiming that it is worthwhile and even deliberate. (The corollary to the saying goes like this: If it's in the documentation, it's a feature, not a bug.) Well, here is governor thesis a case where badly designed door handles were turned into a feature -- an excuse for art. Rather than do the door properly -- use different kinds of handles on each side of the toefl door -- they have used the confusion as an excuse to create art -- where the art is governor almost as confusing as the thesis statement native culture original, but at least is aesthetically pleasing and even a source of conversation. Activity-Centered Design: Why I like my Harmony Remote Control. July 2003. Most remote controls for governor watching video and paper, controlling a home theater are device-centered so the task of turning on all the right equipment and setting each to just the right setting is daunting. The Harmony Remote controller is activity-centered: it doesn't become a DVD controller.

Instead, it allows you to governor bob mcdonnell thesis do the activity of watching a DVD. The difference is ethics enormous -- and bob mcdonnell thesis, wonderful to behold. Activity-centered design. It works. Of Lifeboat Ethics! The first remote control I can recommend without hesitation. Applying the thesis Behavioral, Cognitive, and Social Sciences to thesis ethics Products. To do design requires an approximate science, a way of doing quick but effective computations: guidelines useful for synthesis and design. Applied discipolines have different needs than scientific ones. Not lower-quality -- different -- with different skills and different goals.

Emotion Design: Attractive things work better. June 2002. (Also published as Norman, D. A. (2002). Emotion and design: Attractive things work better. Interactions Magazine, ix (4), 36-42). Advances in our understanding of governor bob mcdonnell, emotion and affect have implications for the science of design. Ethics! Affect changes the governor thesis operating parameters of cognition: positive affect enhances creative, breadth-first thinking whereas negative affect focuses cognition, enhancing depth-first processing and toilet, minimizing distractions. Therefore, it is bob mcdonnell thesis essential that products designed for use under stress follow good human-centered design, for stress makes people less able to cope with difficulties and less flexible in their approach to problem solving. Positive affect makes people more tolerant of minor difficulties and more flexible and creative in finding solutions.

Products designed for more relaxed, pleasant occasions can enhance their usability through pleasant, aesthetic design. Aesthetics matter: attractive things work better. In the world of american essay questions, design, the governor bob mcdonnell thesis term affordance has taken on a life far beyond the original meaning. It might help if we return to compare and contrast the original definition. Let me try to thesis clarify the definition of the term and essay, its many uses. Affordance, Conventions and governor bob mcdonnell, Design (Part 2) The Psychology of Everyday Things (POET) was about perceived affordance.

If I ever were to revise POET, I would make a global change, replacing all instances of the thesis statement native word affordance with the phrase perceived affordance. The designer cares more about what actions the user perceives to be possible than what is bob mcdonnell true. Moreover, affordances, both real and perceived, play very different roles in physical products than they do in the world of screen-based products. In the toilet cheap latter case, affordances play a relatively minor role: cultural conventions are much more important. Banner Blindness, Human Cognition and bob mcdonnell thesis, Web Design. Benway and Lane have studied Banner Blindness -- the and driving essay introduction fact that people tend to ignore those big, flashy, colorful banners at bob mcdonnell the top of web pages. Analysis 2012! This is pretty interesting stuff, for the entire reason they are so big and obnoxious is to attract attention, yet they fail. Evidently nobody ever studied real users before -- they simply assumed that big, colorful items were visible. This paper, shows once again the importance of observations over logic when it comes to bob mcdonnell predicting human behavior. Design as practiced is considerably different from design as idealized in academic discussions of thesis of lifeboat ethics, good design. Thesis! Issues that seem simple from the vantage point of academia are often extremely complex when seen from inside the industry.

Indeed, the two sides seem hardly to introduction be speaking the bob mcdonnell same language. In the course of my experiences, I have come to recognize that industry faces numerous problems that are outside of the scope of the traditional analyses of design. Commentary: Human Error and the Design of Computer Systems. Many advances have been made in our understanding of the hardware and history essay, software of governor bob mcdonnell, information processing systems, but one major gap remains: the inclusion of the human operator into the system analysis. The behavior of an information processing system is not a product of the design specifications: it is a product of the interaction between the human and the system. The Post Disciplinary Revolution: Industrial Design and Human Factors?Heal Yourselves. Outline of an invited keynote address at the 1998 annual meeting of the Human Factors society.

They hated it. If the customer can't find it, then the toefl essay and contrast customer can't buy it. Governor Bob Mcdonnell Thesis! This simple statement explains why usability is the history lifeline of thesis, e-commerce.